File Explorer shows wrong Date Created for photographs

Reaction score
Hi there,

I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I could use some helpful advice regarding Date Created showing in File Explorer.

First of all, the symptoms (Please see attached jpg). My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8. It has two camera apps which I use interchangeably: the native one, and Camera MX. Photos and videos taken using my phone are automatically uploaded to Google Photos.

I have recently downloaded all my phone photos from Google Photos so that I can see them all in my PC's Photos app. While trying to find out why some appeared to be missing, I opened File Explorer to have a look in the Pictures folder. I added a couple of columns (Date Taken and Date Created) and almost immediately noticed that the Date Created values are exactly 12 hours earlier than the date and time the photos were taken. I've checked the date and time settings on my PC and they are correct.

I have also attached a screenshot of the "About This PC" page of my Settings, if this helps.

I can't find out how or why this is happening, so would appreciate your help. If the answer is childishly simple, I don't mind, so don't spare my blushes.

If anybody need any more info, just ask, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve.

Attachments

• Wrong Dates.jpg
    Wrong Dates.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 76
  • About My PC.jpg
    About My PC.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 77
Reaction score
Hi Steve.
Just a thought. :confused: You don't ,mention it, but I suppose the date on your camera is correct?
I am certain you will get a logical explanation from a member - don't go away!

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Nice thought, but yes. Date and time are set to come automatically from my network.

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the Date Created values are exactly 12 hours earlier than the date and time the photos were taken.
That "exactly 12 hours" might suggest that perhaps one or the other is not handling the A.M. -> P.M. thing.
Check both and perhaps consider switching to 24hour time and testing.
Additionally, I suppose....
There might be regional settings to consider on either or both.
There is likely someplace on the planet that is likely "exactly" 12 hours different than your own.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Found this. Steve. maybe, if you can sought out what the author is implying, it could solve the problem. Read well down, it addresses the , sometimes, incorrect terminology in "Date taken"

Fascinating article Dave. Who knew there were so many dates.

I've downloaded the Exif Date Changer app that was suggested in the article, and am even now changing all the created dates/times to the date/time taken. That should ort it out.

Thanks for taking the time to find it and refer me to it.

Reaction score
That "exactly 12 hours" might suggest that perhaps one or the other is not handling the A.M. -> P.M. thing.
Check both and perhaps consider switching to 24hour time and testing.
Additionally, I suppose....
There might be regional settings to consider on either or both.
There is likely someplace on the planet that is likely "exactly" 12 hours different than your own.
Hi there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've changed my phone to use 24-hour times. As I mentioned above, it's already set to automatically take the date and time from whichever network it attaches to, so roaming isn't an issue. I'll monitor going forward and see if that has fixed it.

Reaction score
An observation: I set my cameras date/time for my area, don't let them automatically update according to wherever I may be as the Server may not be as local, my ISP Server is 80 miles away, not a problem as in the same time zone but less than a day's drive either East or West to get into a different zone. Flying would be even worse which is why aviation and maritime uses GMT/UTC as a time reference.

Ask a Question