Can't Find Files by Partial Title in Windows 10 File Explorer

Reaction score
Microsoft has progressively made Windows Explorer/File Explorer more and more complicated to use, to the point where one feels one needs a PhD in computer programming to understand it. I have spent hours fighting with File Explorer in Windows 10 to do things that took me 30 seconds to do in the old Windows Explorer that came with Windows 95. Here is what I want to do:

I have a partial name -- not a complete name -- of a file that I *know* is on my computer somewhere. I want to use File Explorer to find *all* files on my computer with a certain phrase as *part* (not all) of the title of the file. Once I have that list, which will be no more than a hundred files or so, I will quickly be able to find where my missing file resides.

For example, I know that the filename I am looking for has the words "Heating" and "Electricity" in it, but I cannot remember the filename itself. (The file itself also has both "Heating" and "Electricity" inside of it, as column titles in a spreadsheet.)

If File Explorer were designed to be helpful to people, I would simply be able to go to the Folder I want (e.g., Business), and search that folder and all subfolders for *all* files that contain the words "heating" or "electricity" in the titles -- *regardless of what else is in the title*. But I know no way of doing this.

In fact, I can't even bring up "Advanced Search Options" any more -- the place where you can enter before and after dates, file sizes, etc. I used to be able to find that through the Help menu, but now the Help menu, which used to pop up a little window entirely internal to File Explorer Help, takes me outside of File Explorer help to Microsoft Bing and I'm lost in a million web hits.

Can someone tell me:

a. How to open File Explorer in Windows 10 and then activate the Advanced Search options so the headers that allow you to select size, date, etc. of files become visible?

b. How to do a "find file by keywords in file title" search as explained above?

Reaction score
but everything is still there:

2021-04-29_192123.jpg

you just have to click in search field first, then the search tab appears where you can choose your options..

Reaction score
If it's a spreadsheet and you created it there still may be Excel's mini-file manager that can find it. Or other such program such as Lotus 1-2-3, QuattroPro, LibreOffice cal

Reaction score
but everything is still there:

View attachment 13438

you just have to click in search field first, then the search tab appears where you can choose your options..
I don't get what you depict here. When I am on "File" there is no fifth option to the right of "View" -- no "Search" appears, not even when I click in the search field. Under "File" I see options for Navigation Pane, Preview Pane, Details Pane, and next to that there are Layout choices (Large Icons, Details, List, etc.) and next to that "Current view" (with Group by, Add columns, Sort by, etc.) and next to that a "Show/hide" group of options, and finally an "Options" section.

Reaction score
I don't get what you depict here. When I am on "File" there is no fifth option to the right of "View" -- no "Search" appears, not even when I click in the search field. Under "File" I see options for Navigation Pane, Preview Pane, Details Pane, and next to that there are Layout choices (Large Icons, Details, List, etc.) and next to that "Current view" (with Group by, Add columns, Sort by, etc.) and next to that a "Show/hide" group of options, and finally an "Options" section.
View is on the same bar as File and Home, clicking it gets a different bar below it with more choices.
1619786969095.png

1619786979200.png

But the Search is on the line below that.
1619787103112.png

In the View bar click Options then the View tab, lots of changes can be made there, maybe Search is one?

Reaction score
Thanks, Grizzly, but no, this is not what happens. If I click in the search line, *nothing changes* unless I enter *a particular search string* there. Then, and only then, does the top line change in the way that you show. So let me give you my example. I type in "Heating Electricity" and then the top line changes to what you show -- *but* now File Explorer is searching for those files. Minute after minute drags on, and nothing appears. And none of the "Refine" options that you show can be activated while it is searching; or rather, they can be, but what happens is, e.g., I go to "Kind" and select "Document", then "Heating Electricity" is booted out of the Search bar, and "Kind: document" appears in its place. There seems to be no way I can bring up the menus you have shown, then select "Kind: Document" or "Other properties: Excel" and *then* type in the search string.

The odd thing is, I have found another way of finding the files, the way File Explorer *should* work but doesn't. Without entering File Explorer at all, I can go to the "Windows" key, which brings up a bar to type in at the bottom left hand, in which I type "Heating Electricity". This then take me to an option to search the web, which I decline, and an option to select "document", which I choose. Then -- in seconds -- all three documents on my computer with those two words in the title show up, in File Explorer! Yet I cannot do the same thing from within File Explorer!

Also, as I said, it used to be that, within File Explorer, when pressed the ? symbol for Help, I got a little window, about 1/20 the size of my screen, and if I typed in a query about searching, some help came up in the little window, and one of the links in there was "click here for Advanced Search" or the like. I clicked in there and I was in Advanced Search, and now I had options of "before (date)" "after (date) and so one, enabling me to narrow my search. But now I can't get there. When I click on the ? now, instead of that handy little help window, I'm taken to Microsoft Bing, and I'm in a huge ocean of web hits which I can't begin to sort through. Apparently over the past year, in one of its updates, Microsoft altered the way "Help" works in File Explorer. And as usual, they make it so that it takes *longer*, not less time, to get the information you want. Are the programmers at Microsoft stupid? Do they specialize in taking programs that work well, and that no one complains about, and making them harder to understand, harder to get help on?

Ask a Question