Can't find, install, or uninstall Paint 3d

Reaction score
What a mess. I have mspaint and when I bring it up it has the balloon icon that says "Edit with Paint 3D". Clicking it once does nothing. Clicking twice asks you if you want to save the drawing, and then does nothing else.

So I thought maybe I have to run Paint 3D. I could not find Paint 3D anywhere. I looked through the All Programs on the Start Bar, searched the win32 folder which is where mspaint.exe is, I searched the Registry and found a few places referencing paint 3d but those entries were under mspaint. I looked at the Installed Progams in the Programs and Features thing, and probably a few more places.:))

I went to the Microsoft Store to download Paint 3D. It started downloading then quit with "We encountered a problem, try back later" type message. Tried again and got the same results. I cleared cache, cookies etc. I tried again and it started to install, but quit again. This time it said that Paint 3D was already installed.

I cleared cached, cookies etc and this time ran the WSReset command. That seemed to run and then put me back in the store. Then the same cycle started all over again when I attempted to download paint 3d. Oh, and I was signed into my Microsoft Account the entire time.

I am up to date OS wise and am running OS Build 19041.388, which is the latest build. I have tons of memory and disk space. I had my antivirus software turned off.

Any ideas how to get paint 3d? I'm wondering know if it's worth it:))

Thanks
Zeek

Reaction score
Hi Zeek,

go to Settings > Apps > Apps and features, click on Paint3D (assuming it is showing in the list) and then "Advanced options" and use the reset option. I don't really have any other advice for you. ;)

1596482858986.png

Reaction score
That's my problem. I can't find paint 3d anywhere, I can't install it, and I can't uninstall it.

Reaction score
The Store may have quit, because it found MsPaint already on your computer - just guessing!
But, you will not find an executive (.exe)
It is
Microsoft.MSPaint_8wekyb.3d8bbwet

it is in C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\Packages

Reaction score
Hi Zeek,

you can also try getting it from the following link. :)

Reaction score
The Store may have quit, because it found MsPaint already on your computer - just guessing!
But, you will not find an executive (.exe)
It is
Microsoft.MSPaint_8wekyb.3d8bbwet

it is in C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\Packages
That is a good guess. Surprisingly the download is only 137KB which is tiny so the download is pretty fast, maybe 3 seconds. The install process is much slower and always fails at the very end of the install process. The fact that MsPaint has the button/icon that says "Edit with Paint 3D" suggests to me that mspaint is ok to have.

I found the Microsoft.MSPaint_8wekyb.3d8bbwet folder. What's interesting there is that all of the packages end with 8wekyb.3d8bbwe and the Modified date is 7/30/2020 which is the date I updated my system. I have both Microsoft Office 2007 and 2013. All of the updates was to Office 2007. Maybe that is causing a problem.

Oh, davehc, could you verify that your Package name has the t at the end (wet). Mine doesn't have the T.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
What a mess. I have mspaint and when I bring it up it has the balloon icon that says "Edit with Paint 3D". Clicking it once does nothing. Clicking twice asks you if you want to save the drawing, and then does nothing else.

So I thought maybe I have to run Paint 3D. I could not find Paint 3D anywhere. I looked through the All Programs on the Start Bar, searched the win32 folder which is where mspaint.exe is, I searched the Registry and found a few places referencing paint 3d but those entries were under mspaint. I looked at the Installed Progams in the Programs and Features thing, and probably a few more places.:))

I went to the Microsoft Store to download Paint 3D. It started downloading then quit with "We encountered a problem, try back later" type message. Tried again and got the same results. I cleared cache, cookies etc. I tried again and it started to install, but quit again. This time it said that Paint 3D was already installed.

I cleared cached, cookies etc and this time ran the WSReset command. That seemed to run and then put me back in the store. Then the same cycle started all over again when I attempted to download paint 3d. Oh, and I was signed into my Microsoft Account the entire time.

I am up to date OS wise and am running OS Build 19041.388, which is the latest build. I have tons of memory and disk space. I had my antivirus software turned off.

Any ideas how to get paint 3d? I'm wondering know if it's worth it:))

Thanks
Zeek

UPDATE - I just noticed that when I go to the page in Microsoft Store to download Paint 3d, and click on Get, a message appears real quick that says Paint 3D is already installed. You really have to be looking at the page real close to see it. But as I said in my original post, paint 3d is not anywhere on my system. After looking further I saw where I got a code 0x80073d0d error.

Apparently this error is pretty popular and deals with the Microsoft Store App on your PC. I found instructions on how to fix it which included resetting the Microsoft Store App itself. Nothing helped. It seems to me that if the Store thinks it is already installed, it would not download and attempt another installation without asking or telling you.

I'm getting close to going back to a real Operating System like Ubuntu and saying the heck with the Mickey Mouse OS:))

Reaction score
Hi Zeek,

open Settings > Updates & Security > Troubleshoot and click on "Additional troubleshooters" and scroll down to "Windows Store Apps" and see if that helps. :)

store.jpg

Reaction score
Hey Wolfie..Tried it but no cigar. I learned something knew as I didn't know that Trouble shooter even existed. Thanks!!

Zeek

Reaction score
Try this to see if the program is available:

Right click the start orb, and, in "Run", type Shell:AppsFolder

This will give you a complete list of every executable that exists on your computer. If you are luck enough to see the paint 3d app, right click it and pin to start.

Reaction score
Try this to see if the program is available:

Right click the start orb, and, in "Run", type Shell:AppsFolder

This will give you a complete list of every executable that exists on your computer. If you are luck enough to see the paint 3d app, right click it and pin to start.
Thanks Davehc. Paint 3D was not there, but there is a program named 3D Builder that I don't remember installing, or how to use it:))
I like that command. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hi Zeek,

I have another suggestion for you, open Settings> Apps > Apps & features. On the right, click on Manage Optional Features. Click on Add a feature. Select Paint3D from the list of available features if showing. Click on the Install button. This might install Paint3D?????.

Thanks to @JustinC for the idea!. Post #23 at the following link. :):):)

1596632205297.png

Reaction score
Hi Zeek,

I have another suggestion for you, open Settings> Apps > Apps & features. On the right, click on Manage Optional Features. Click on Add a feature. Select Paint3D from the list of available features if showing. Click on the Install button. This might install Paint3D?????.

Thanks to @JustinC for the idea!. Post #23 at the following link.:):):)

View attachment 12269
Thanks Wolfie and JustinC:))
Paint shows up as installed, but of course Paint 3D is not in either list. Think I'll give up. Paint 3D is not worth all this time and trouble. The 3d Builder (from Microsoft) will probably do what I want anyway. Now I'm wondering why Mircosoft has both products that basically does the same thing.

Reaction score
Hi Zeek,

I don't have any insight into why there are 2 apps that do the same thing as I don't use either. I am out of ideas now unless you sign up with the MS community like I suggested earlier!. :)

Ask a Question