We can't find your camera

Reaction score
I haven't had my camera hooked up to my computer for ages because it wasn't working. I don't know if I've had it hooked up to download pictures since I got Windows 10.

In any event, I hooked it up today to download pictures and nothing happened. I finally went to the Start menu and selected "Camera" and it opened telling me "We can't find your camera." See screenshot.

I need to get these pictures downloaded to send and am hoping someone on the forum can help me. i never had any problem before today downloading my pictures. It's a Cannon DX 7590. I don't use the Kodak software.

PS. I ran that Troubleshooter on Windows Store Apps and it found this ... see screenshot.

Another PS. I followed the directions given here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-store-cache-may-damaged

There was no 'cache' file by default in said folder so I created an empty one as instructed. I rebooted and ran the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter again. It came back with the same message; that Windows Store Cache may be damaged, and it showed as not fixed.

I went to that folder
C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState

Before the only thing in the LocalState folder was _sessionState file. Then I created the empty folder and named it 'cache'. After following through with the restart and re-run of troubleshooter, what is in that folder now is (see screenshot).

Attachments

• can't find camera.JPG
    can't find camera.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 632
  • Windows store apps.JPG
    Windows store apps.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 666
  • LocalState Folder.JPG
    LocalState Folder.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Reaction score
Most times I just use the camera as if it were a USB Thumb drive or a floppy disk drive, plug it in and use File Explorer [formerly called Windows Explorer] simple file management to copy or move pictures from the camera or remove the memory card to plug into a card reader on the computer. Don't know if it applies to your particular computer but some USB 2.0 devices plugged into USB 3.x ports do not always 'fall back' to USB 2.0, can cause issues. Haven't determined yet if that is a hardware issue with the ports.

Reaction score
I have version 1703. I think there is an SD card reader in the front of the tower. I have never used it. There are 2 slots. One is about 1-1/2 iches and the other, right beside it, is about 1"; They look like they are awfully dusty inside.
HI Nikilet,

firstly, what version of W10 are you using? (upgrade if you aren't running version 1709!):

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-73822 ;)

Second, does your PC have an SD card reader?.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/computer-wont-read-sd-card-in-windows-10.html :)

Most times I just use the camera as if it were a USB Thumb drive or a floppy disk drive, plug it in and use File Explorer [formerly called Windows Explorer] simple file management to copy or move pictures from the camera or remove the memory card to plug into a card reader on the computer. Don't know if it applies to your particular computer but some USB 2.0 devices plugged into USB 3.x ports do not always 'fall back' to USB 2.0, can cause issues. Haven't determined yet if that is a hardware issue with the ports.

How do I use File Explorer to do this, please?

Reaction score
Get a can of compressed air packaged for use in a computer and blow those slots out. Then insert the camera card and File Explorer should give a pop up with choices such as open to view files. That will give you a chance to look at the contents of the card, watch for a Folder that has pictures in it, most common I've seen is called DCIM.

Reaction score
Get a can of compressed air packaged for use in a computer and blow those slots out. Then insert the camera card and File Explorer should give a pop up with choices such as open to view files. That will give you a chance to look at the contents of the card, watch for a Folder that has pictures in it, most common I've seen is called DCIM.

Thanks much. I got my pictures off.

If there is anyone out there who knows how to fix this situation so that I can download my pictures the easy way, like I used to, I'd sure appreciate it you'd share it with me.

Reaction score
First of all, the DX7590 is a Kodak camera not a Canon.From what I can gather there are no drivers for Windows 10 down to Windows 7 available, not even the Windows Update catalog lists anything for that camera. Since there are no drivers available you might need to use the card reader more often in the future. Or you install the software in compatibility mode (for Windows Vista)....
The camera is simply too old to be used with "modern" Operating System's....
You are not alone on that. I have several cameras that do not work with Windows 10 anymore. A build in card reader or an external one are your best choice right now......

Reaction score
First of all, the DX7590 is a Kodak camera not a Canon.From what I can gather there are no drivers for Windows 10 down to Windows 7 available, not even the Windows Update catalog lists anything for that camera. Since there are no drivers available you might need to use the card reader more often in the future. Or you install the software in compatibility mode (for Windows Vista)....
The camera is simply too old to be used with "modern" Operating System's....
You are not alone on that. I have several cameras that do not work with Windows 10 anymore. A build in card reader or an external one are your best choice right now......

I didn't realize I called it a Canon. Don't know why I did that because I know better. Thanks for this info. Too bad because this camera takes such really great pictures. I got to thinking and pretty sure I've downloaded pictures from the camera since installing Windows 10, but I don't think I've downloaded any since my last version update.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that there's no sense fretting about a cure since there isn't one to bring me back to what I was used to. Just checked it out and this post is for my old Dell desktop. I just checked my laptop and I don't see any slot for a card reader so I may have to invest in a an external one if I want to continue to use the camera.

Is there anything special or in particular I need to look for when purchasing a card reader?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Nikilet,

my Kodak camera doesn't connect to my PC either!. I would still also do the upgrade in the link I posted above and continue using the SD card reader per the suggestions earlier!. :)

Reaction score
Hi Nikilet,

my Kodak camera doesn't connect to my PC either!. I would still also do the upgrade in the link I posted above and continue using the SD card reader per the suggestions earlier!. :)

Yes, thanks for your input. This has all been helpful!

Reaction score
When you upgrade, make sure you have a copy of War & Peace at hand, it takes a looooooooooooong time!. :)

Reaction score
When you upgrade, make sure you have a copy of War & Peace at hand, it takes a looooooooooooong time!. :)

Does one have to be right at the screen while the upgrade is going on?

Actually, I had decided I would just wait until this upgrade came through my Windows Updates. I figure that way some of the kinks might get worked out before I get it. I've learned a lot and I try, but I'm not a computer guru and I live 100 miles from the nearest repair facility and I am disabled so the fewer problems the better.

Reaction score
A nice little pocketable USB card reader for SD can be had at Wal*Mart for about $20. I got one that also accepts the MicroSDXC cards from phones.

Reaction score
The newer Microsoft's Operating systems get the more of the old hardware will not be supported anymore, I call it "disabled". Nothing we can do about it but working around it. For external card readers I'd like to give some recommendations:
I myself use a IOGEAR GFR209 and a KOUTECH IO-RC523 cardreader which unfortunately are meanwhile discontinued (at least the last one). The IOGEAR I have is still available in a USB2 and a USB3 version (GFR309).
I never had any problems with these readers and they work flawless....

To answer your question "does one have to be right at the screen while the upgrade is going on" :
No you do not have to be at the screen. It takes sometimes a few hours anyway so let it run its course. When you are asked to login again, the upgrade will be almost finished (a few steps still have to follow but those are minor and won't take much time)

Last edited:
Reaction score
A nice little pocketable USB card reader for SD can be had at Wal*Mart for about $20. I got one that also accepts the MicroSDXC cards from phones.

Are you allowed to give me the specific name of the items you are referring to? If so would you include that please?

Reaction score
I'd sure like to but it's been awhile and I don't have the packaging with the name. As I recall it was a display in their camera department.

EDIT: I went looking on https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=sd card reader&typeahead=sd car and one I frequently use is Komputerbay 8-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, TF (MicroSD, MicroSDHC, MicroSDXC) Black. There's a whole lot more choices on that page than what my local store [40 miles] carries.

The picture doesn't show it but it does have the MicroSDXC slot.

Last edited:

Ask a Question