Disc is full but I can't find source

Reaction score
I have a 111-GB SSD drive that is used only for program files. All my user files (pictures, videos, music) are kept on a NAS. But my disc is 90% full. When I used File Explorer Properties, it reported only these significant file usages:
Program Files: 3.65-GB
Program Files (x86): 2.8-GB
Windows: 6.3-GB
Users: 19.9-GB

I don't have any backups on C:, nor any previous versions of Windows.
I have run Disk Cleanup. I have uninstalled all the apps that I dare to (and none of them report to use more than 0.6 GB, most are insignificant). When I looked at the folders & files listed under the one User, it shows less than 1-GB used. What is the other 19-GB that doesn't show up?
By my calculation, my disc should have only 13-GB used. What is using up all my disc space? It must be hidden files, but what? And how do I get rid of them?

Reaction score
Have yuo tried UNhiding the System an hidden files, on the Windows Explorer? It might reveal the culprit.

Reactions: Ian
Ad

Advertisements

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've often found
WinDirStat (free)
OR
TreeSize (free)
Helpful in such cases.

Just be careful of the source you download from.
Some download sites often bundle some worthless crap, so....
Always perform an advanced custom install where available.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
My Windows folder is 21GB in size and my users only 6GB. All in all my system disk is only 31.2GB (out of 55GB) full and I have my files "outsourced" as well....

You may have a bunch of restore points or Windows error reports that fill up the drive. Try a disk cleanup and see how much space you can recover (including system files clean up)...Sometimes it can give you quite the space back....

Reaction score
I have a 111-GB SSD drive that is used only for program files. All my user files (pictures, videos, music) are kept on a NAS. But my disc is 90% full. When I used File Explorer Properties, it reported only these significant file usages:
Program Files: 3.65-GB
Program Files (x86): 2.8-GB
Windows: 6.3-GB
Users: 19.9-GB
You can use Settings-System-Storage and select partitions and other options to drill down in a certain area...

Reaction score
I uninstalled iTunes & all the other apps I could. The cleanup tool said it cleaned up 0.6 GB.
How do I turn off restore points?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
OK. I clicked on "delete all restore points". I don't think there were any, system restore was turned off.
I checked the paging file. It was set to only 200 MB.

Reaction score
I installed TreeSize. It shows 64.5-GB for "This Folder" when I select "C:\", but it says 99.5-GB used for the drive. Is this normal???
The biggest files are the hibernation file hiberfil.sys (6.0-GB). I don't usually use hibernation. Should I disable it & delete this file?
Another big file is C:\users\Scott\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\iobw.tst (13.9-GB). Anybody know what this is and whether I can safely delete it? I googled iobw.tst but all I found was stuff about IOMeter, which may have once been installed on this machine, but isn't any longer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you disable hibernation the file will automatically be deleted
powercfg -h off
As far as iobw.tst
I'd move it to an external drive (just to be on the safe side).
Those two alone should give you back about 20 gigs.

Reaction score
You can look up the extension to see what it might be but one thing looks like a TestPoint file if you have such software..

You might be able to check the properties of the file and see who supplies it..

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I deleted iobw.tst, emptied the recycle bin and rebooted. iobw.tst is b

Ask a Question