Can't find my files

Reaction score
Evidently at some point in the last few months, there must have been an update, and now I find that I can hardly find any of my pictures or downloads that I KNOW are on my laptop. Now when I open my file folder, it looks like everything is listed by the day it was added and not alphabetically like it used to be. Is there anyway to fix this, and how do I find my stuff? Help!

Reaction score
Hi Maggie
In File Explorer, select the folder. Click on View/Details which will bring up the files and folders Names, Date Modified and Type. Above the list of files and folders, you'll see the headings Names, Date Modified, Type and Size. Click on Names and the list will sort up or down by Name. Likewise the other headings.
1575991036909.png

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
and how do I find my stuff? Help! (nothing else works then try this: open "This PC" or explorer --> this PC then search for .ext (jpg or doc or txt0 as your need is and soon every thing with that extension will show.
1575996222141.png

Reaction score
Evidently at some point in the last few months, there must have been an update, and now I find that I can hardly find any of my pictures or downloads that I KNOW are on my laptop. Now when I open my file folder, it looks like everything is listed by the day it was added and not alphabetically like it used to be. Is there anyway to fix this, and how do I find my stuff? Help!

If your files are being grouped by date, start File Explorer, maximize the window, click on the "View" tab, then click "Group by" and see if "Date Modified" is selected. If so, change it to "(None)" and sort the files as desired.

Ben

Reaction score
Hi Maggie
In File Explorer, select the folder. Click on View/Details which will bring up the files and folders Names, Date Modified and Type. Above the list of files and folders, you'll see the headings Names, Date Modified, Type and Size. Click on Names and the list will sort up or down by Name. Likewise the other headings.
View attachment 10979
Hope that helps.
Thanks, yes, that does help. I still seem to be missing tons of pictures and downloads. (I save a lot of cat pictures lol) They seem to be MIA. Could they be in the cloud, whatever/where ever that is?

Reaction score
suggest you use Search for the .ext and then you can move all to a new folder. *.jpg, then *.bmp, this will also tell you where the majority of your pictures are stored.... depends if you know the exact .ext or not, or simply use pictures if that is where you stored yours. or what ever the folder was call....
1576171284988.png

Ask a Question