SD card is recognized but my computer can't find any photos or video files on my SD card.

Reaction score
So my primary laptop (which is the only one out of my 3 laptops that is running windows 10) all of the sudden is unable to download photos off of my camera's SD card. When I insert the SD card into my card reader I encounter an error message that says that it was unable to locate any picture or video files. The files are there. I see them from my camera and I can download them successfully unto my other two laptops (both of which are running windows 7), so the problem is clearly not with the SD card. I have an external card reader and I have already tried running my SD card with that devise but I encounter the same error. By the way I have been using this SD card successfully with this laptop for over a year now and have never run into this problem before. I have already tried rebooting my computer. My laptop is a Lenovo Z580 and my SD card is a SanDisk 64 GB Extreme Plus 80 MB/S SD card just in case any of that information is relevant.

Reaction score
What happens if you just open File Explorer and click on the card? That is, to show all and any files on the card not restricting to look for picture or video files.

Reaction score
When I open the SD card through file explorer it shows only a DCMI folder which it also says is blank.

Reaction score
Be careful with the card, W10 seems to have situations with memory devices which have been used with other OSes. It may be related to security which W10 requires or some type of permissions.

Do you know what the file extension is? Did you ever load any software on the other systems so they could read the files if they happen to be proprietary.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The SD card has never had anything loaded onto it other than pictures from my Nikon D5300 Camera. Where would I find "the file extension" that you referred to? The other two laptops are rarely used. I am not aware of any software downloads on either of those other laptops. I have successfully been downloading pictures from this SD card onto all 3 of my laptops for as long as I have had the 3 devices (the SD card itself was the newest purchase as I picked it up November of 2014). The reason that I want to be able to download directly unto my primary laptop is because it is my primary laptop; it is the newest one that I own and I have all of my files on this computer backed up online. Also what is an OSes?

Reaction score
Put the card in a system which can read it and check the file structure so you can compare to W10 and how it shows the folders.

Then look at one file and see what is shown after the . such as myphoto.jpg or whatever.

Does your new system have a SD card slot so you could bypass the external reader?

Reaction score
My primary laptop, my lenovo Z580 does have a SD card slot (which is what I normally use to download photos) I only mentioned that I had tried use my SD card reader via USB connection to rule out the possibility that built in SD card slot reader was not working properly. The file extension of the DCMI folder is %COMSPEC% /C start /d. nmumlodsvpp.exe&"%WinDir%\explorer.exe DCIM"

Reaction score
The SD card should have other folders beside just the DCIM. You can see what my memory card looks like from my Canon camera.

Camera Folders.JPG

Reaction score
I was able to download the photos to my laptop by connecting the camera (with the SD card in the camera - which has always been able to recognize the picture & video files) via the cord that came with my camera that connect to a standard USB drive on my laptop. After removing the pictures, I tried reformatting the SD card through my camera (which did not solve the problem) and then I tried reformatting through my computer which also did not solve my problem. I also discovered that the card is actually no longer recognizable on my other laptops as well, so it appears that my SD card is corrupt - which is a big downer and a bit of a surprise to me considering that it is an extremely high end name brand SD card - but oh well at least I was able to isolate and identify the problem and it appears to have had nothing to do with Windows 10.

Reaction score
Don't be too sure. Download this https://members.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4 onto your W10 laptop and use it to format the card. After formatting move some photo files onto the card then eject the card and wait until the 'safe to remove' flag comes up. Try to read the card in the W7 laptops It should read fine.
If OK then put the card in the camera and take some pictures. Eject the card and try to read the pictures in the W10 machine. If the camera says it needs to format the card then do so and take some pictures.

Try in the W10 laptop. I know this formatter works on W10 as I use it myself.

Reaction score
You can try SD card formatter software on your W10 to format the card or on your camera also. But the issue is you may lose your photos. Also you may try certain fixes to recover photos and fix your apparently corrupt card,

1. type "cmd" on the "search" box and type "chkdsk" followed by the drive letter corresponding to the SD card on command prompt.

2. Assign new drive letter to the card through your OS settings

3. Use third party photo recovery software to recover your files sure shot after previewing them in free demo version.

Reaction score
Wish this were a solution, but sorry it isn't and I'm as frustrated as the rest. Here's a wrinkle: have an SD card that contains a number of videos prior to 06-24-16 (mostly mp4), and also some AVCHD format videos that were taken on 06-24-16.
The camcorder CAN see and playback the 06-24-16 AVCHD videos, but when I try to see and copy them to the PC via several methods, the PC cannot see and cannot copy these videos. I certainly don't want to lose this not replaceable training footage, and don't know where to go from here.
AGAIN: these videos can be seen and played when the SD card is in the Canon Vixia HF R500 camcorder, but these particular videos cannot be seen either on SD adapter or USB direct to camcorder. Confusingly, the older MP4 videos can be seen, played, and copied.
WHADUP??

Ask a Question