SOLVED Some SD cards not recognized on Windows 10

Reaction score
I have two 4 Gig cards that do not show up on my machines. Both are Dell desktops running Windows 10 Pro one is 32 bit the other is 64 bit. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
There may be problems with older SD cards in Win 10. A card that small might be the problem, do you know how it is formatted?

It may also be related to which version of Win 10 you were running. I noticed just earlier today some of the Insider builds were having problems recognizing some SD cards.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I am running Windows version 1803. I do not know if the cards are formatted since it does no show up as recognized

Reaction score
Might try a USB Card Reader, I get them for less than $20USD at Wal*Mart. The issue can be the age of the card reader in a Desktop or Notebook/Laptop, 4GB usually are SDHC and can't be read in older readers that can read the SD that are smaller capacity.

If the cards are to be used in a camera it's best to format/reformat them in the camera, not in the computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use the USB card reader at all times. I am trying to trouble shoot a Raspberry Pi computer onboard wi-fi. Both cards could be corrupted which could be the reason Windows is not recognizing either. There is a way to wipe the cards clean and I am just having problems doing so. If they are wiped clean then there should be no problem formatting them.

Reaction score
Is the card one of those which can use an adapter and if so have you tried it both ways?

Have you looked at the card with Disk Management? If it has been cleaned, you may be able to initialize and format it there.

I have a Kingston 4 GB card which has never been used. I will try it with some of my Dell systems later.

Reaction score
There is a way to wipe the cards clean and I am just having problems doing so. If they are wiped clean then there should be no problem formatting them.
Usually only need to right-click the card in File Explorer and Format [as FAT32] which should take care of the problem but I have seen where nothing including GPARTED could reformat, just tossed them out and bought new. I got a packaged pair of Verbatim 16GB for 11.97 a week ago.

Reaction score
Is the card one of those which can use an adapter and if so have you tried it both ways?

Have you looked at the card with Disk Management? If it has been cleaned, you may be able to initialize and format it there.

I have a Kingston 4 GB card which has never been used. I will try it with some of my Dell systems later.
Both are micro SD cards. I tried them with the adapter and without the adapter. Looked at them Disk Management but still cannot get either to format.

Reaction score
I tried a 4 GB micro SD card and it seems to work OK in my Dell systems but it is a newer card.

Do you know what Disk Managment or Diskpart are and have you ever used either one?

Reaction score
Do you know what Disk Managment or Diskpart are and have you ever used either one?
I've not worked frequently with "Diskpart" [prefer a non-Microsoft product] but right-click the Start button then click Disk Management which can help in managing partitions and drives they are on. Every disk needs at least one partition.

Reaction score
Hi Bighorn,
Yes, I have used both Disk Management and Diskpart before.
Let me explain some more, I have 3 relatively new micro SD cards, (bought them last year) The SanDisk card is working OK. The two Team micro SD cards are the ones I am having problems with. I found this YouTube video and will attempt to see if I can correct my corrupted cards.
If I am successful I'll let you know.

Ask a Question