W10 and AMD Radeon HD 5xxx & ATI Mobility HD 4xxx series gfx cards

Reaction score
Ran the W10 update on my HP craptop and windows stated after the upgrade finished that my older (9/2014) gfx driver was incompatible ran DDU uninstaller and installed the new 15.7 (using AMD autodetect) and still get the error message from windows stating the gfx drivers are incompatible and need to be updated, well folks until there is another I'm dead in the water.

I'm sure M$ & AMD will remedy this down the road as too many people have embedded gfx on craptops and are pretty much stuck with what they have and can't change it like a desktop. Forums across the universe are howling about issues with Nvidia and AMD older cards and this new OS that wants to 'cherry pick' graphics. M$ states the new DX12 is backward compatible to DX9 but it remains to be seen if it truly is across the board.

On the other hand my Desktop had a upgrade issue and reverted back to W7 stating an error code '80240020' and this too seems to happening on a regular basis. I refuse to do a clean install as I have too much stuff to try and put back. I did make a System Image just in case though.

From what I've seen of W10 on the craptop I'm not that impressed anyway. Much too much emphasis on apps and the changing of navigational properties there is no My Computer or Computer its This PC (they coulda left that alone) navagating around is another learning curve aimed at smartphones and netbooks, its like they thumbed their noses to us regular desktop users. It didn't work with W8 & 8.1 now this W10 is still trying to cram it down our throats. If I had my druthers I would make it as much as possible like W7 for one thing most of us have it down pat and know our way around.

Back at the ranch if anyone has a line on whats going on with the graphics hassle please let us know.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
They just did a new one http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst15-7-1WINReleaseNotes.aspx
But it looks like it's for 5000 series and above cards. IDK..... I've been reading and writing in forums all day. It seems that this "Upgrade" process, has not gone as smoothly as they perhaps had wished.
I will say, that when it works.... it works and works well, but......
When it pukes..... it's a mess to clean up.

Ask a Question