Eliminate W10 Password

jpk

Reaction score
I have always kept my home computer open without a password. Microsoft has been nagging me to sign up so I did. I didn't know that the password I was establishing was for my computer and not for access to Microsoft. Is there a way to get rid of the password requirement to log on after installing one? It is really annoying to have to enter a password every time I boot the computer up.

Reaction score
Right click the start menu icon. and select Run
Type netplwiz.exe
On the next window, UNtick the square - "Users must enter...etc
Select the account which you wish to log in with and on the next screen, fill in your password twice
Ok and out.
reboot and you should go straight into the desktop.

Reaction score
Those of us who spent decades having to sign into their work environment every morning ( assorted minicomputers, then Linux , then PCs) feel incomplete if we don't have to sign in at home!:)

Reaction score
Signing in is like that first cup of (Tim's) coffee, it becomes addictive. LOL

Reaction score
Those of us who suffered through years of government overseers chanting "change your password" now want nothing to do with the damn things.

Reaction score
jpk: remember that Windows 10 provides TWO different types of userids:
  1. A "local account" (which, prior to Win 8 is the only type of account available). A local account may or may not have a password (just like in Win 7)
  2. A "Microsoft Account", which MUST have a password.
Sounds like you originally had a local account, but later switched it to a MS Account and when you did that, you could no longer sign in without a password. Therefore, the suggestion from davehc about using "netplwiz.exe" isn't going to help as it's only applicable for local accounts.

There are a lot of pros and cons as to which type of account is best for you. Take a minute to review an article that discusses this.

For my residential customers, I usually setup local accounts. For corporate customers, it can go either way depending on their requirements.

Hope this helps.

Bif

Reaction score
I concur with @Norton and his analogy..just seems the thing to do for myself.
But now I'm craving a large Tims dark roast double double and an apple fritter.;)

Reaction score
I can't get through to you guys! - Wots wrong with a large beer. Maybe they will come up with a coffee flavoured variety.

Reaction score
Dave Keep it simple like a coffee and apple or blueberry fritter. A large cold stein has to come with Oktoberfest sausage on a bun with fried onions and sauerkraut.

Reaction score
I can't get through to you guys! - Wots wrong with a large beer. Maybe they will come up with a coffee flavoured variety.
One craft Brewer in Canada makes a Coffee Porter. Mill Street in Toronto

About this Beer
Our porter is rich and robust, dark brown in colour with a dark roasted coffee nose, imparting an intense coffee flavour with notes of chocolate. Made with beans supplied by the Distillery District’s Balzac’s Coffee, this porter offers a rich, full and unique flavour. Currently, there are no other coffee-flavoured beers in the Ontario market. 5.5 abv

You asked...

Reaction score
jpk, the op, must be a little bewildered with this thread. Let's stop!

Ask a Question