eliminate sign on for windows 10

Reaction score
Followed instructions . Right click win logo, run, netplwiz, uncheck user name option, apply, ok.......does not work. Help!!

Reaction score
When you were doing the netplwiz, were you asked to enter your current password and then re-enter to confirm it ?
In other words, did you go through the whole 9 yards ?

Reaction score
When you were doing the netplwiz, were you asked to enter your current password and then re-enter to confirm it ?
In other words, did you go through the whole 9 yards ?
No I didn't. It did not ask me. However I did hit "Apply" before I hit ok. Possible problem?

Reaction score
After you enter netplwiz and hit Apply, there should be a new window asking for your username and password..........
Netplwiz.jpg

Reaction score
Clicking apply and then ok is correct and should bring up what is in the screenshot above. I made posts in which I erroneously said otherwise. On my second run of netplwiz I went in the sequence shown and entered a password twice which is how it works.

Reaction score
Tried again. As soon as I click on ok the box disappears. I don't get an opportunity to go any further. Still have to sign in....

Reaction score
Here's the story about how I did it. First time thru I did netplwiz from run, CHECKED the user must enter password box said ok WITHOUT apply went back and CLEARED the box said ok without apply and restarted without a password. Based on that I made a few posts about ok without apply. Later I got into the "you need to verify your identity" and the prompt for password showed up again. In the meantime I saw posts by others showing the screenshot of password entry with verification. So the second time thru netplwiz where the box was rechecked I cleared it and I did check both apply and ok. That worked. If you want to play around with it try what you said or try ok without apply. I'm sure it worked once. I remember thinking the box had to be checked first then cleared.
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login to windows-10
Find this sentence: Click APPLY to see automatically sign in box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
"No I didn't. It did not ask me. However I did hit "Apply" before I hit ok. Possible problem?"

No.But after you have hit "Apply" the cursor should jump to the first password entry. Enter your normal password and confirm it in the second box. Then OK. You should then be set to go.

You may be aware, but I should point out that doing this, does not, to any great extent, lower your internet security. But it does mean that anyone in your household, or, should your computer be stolen, has free access to the OS.

Reaction score
Here's the story about how I did it. First time thru I did netplwiz from run, CHECKED the user must enter password box said ok WITHOUT apply went back and CLEARED the box said ok without apply and restarted without a password. Based on that I made a few posts about ok without apply. Later I got into the "you need to verify your identity" and the prompt for password showed up again. In the meantime I saw posts by others showing the screenshot of password entry with verification. So the second time thru netplwiz where the box was rechecked I cleared it and I did check both apply and ok. That worked. If you want to play around with it try what you said or try ok without apply. I'm sure it worked once. I remember thinking the box had to be checked first then cleared.
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-automatically-login to windows-10
Find this sentence: Click APPLY to see automatically sign in box.
I will continue to try different options until one works. Will post if I succeed....Thanks

Reaction score
Not to beat this to death but there maybe a bit more to it. Somewhere along the line I had to go to control panel and user accounts to change my name and account type. That seems to enter into this on the advanced tab of user accounts. After my changes username and group listings were reduced and simplified.

Reaction score
See an alternative on the thread How To Disable Login Screen On Win 10. Don't know if it works but it's something to try. Page 3 of General Discussions by Mark V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Rechecked box. clicked ok...restarted... unchecked box...clicked ok... password box came up...entered password...clicked ok... restarted.... windows asked for a password..would not accept password...asked for a pin..accepted it...back to ground zero..am debating whether to try method 2. I am fearful of locking myself out completely. Good thing I had a pin to fall back on. I'm not sure why it wouldn't accept my password, as I did not fool with it...but thanks anyway.....

Ask a Question