SD Card is recognized but computer doesn't find any photos on card

Reaction score
My laptop doesn't recognize any photos on my SD card, but I know the SD card contains photos because I can upload those same photos with the SD card in my camera via a cable connected to the laptop. I've tried new SD cards, and an external card reader, but the results are the same. This only happens on my laptop running Windows 10. When I open my SD card in Lightroom (or any other photo app), I show two folders named DCIM and MISC, and there are two sub-folders underneath the DCIM folder -- just not photos!

Any suggestions on how I can remedy this problem?

Reaction score
What laptop (brand/model) do you have and how old is it??
What is the format of those photos?? (jpg/RAW)
from the mentioned folders I assume you have a Canon camera??

Reaction score
fwiw. I have an Olympus which produces the same folders. I am making a wild guess they are jpg. But, they should, in most common folders, be opening by default.
But your account is a little puzzling. Have you actually ever seen those photos - in anything?

Reaction score
The DCIM Folder from my Canon cameras contains subFolders that have the actual images.

Have seen a few instances where the SD slot had to have compressed air applied to it to assure nothing was interfering with the contacts. Same for the older PCMCIA slots/sockets.

Bif

Reaction score
Could the "Lock" be on the same card perhaps?... I've accidentally done this more than once...just spitballing

Reaction score
That lock is a descendant of the 'switch' on the 3.5" floppy disks, prevents writing or erasing of data on them.

Reaction score
I wonder... does W10 think the DCIM folder is set to 'hidden' ? Tell file explorer to show everything.

Ask a Question