Folder Structure Problem

Reaction score
I get this error message when trying to install a particular software:

... files cannot be found under current folder structure. Current folder ....

I tried to install from its original location, then moved it to the C drive. I am struggling to even understand the error message. The software worked fine under Win 7. Running as Administrator does not work, my account is also administrator.

A web search did not turn up anything on this sort of issue.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Reaction score
The main issue with Windows-based programs is that once installed they cannot be simply moved to a different location. It's about the install process creating its folder, copying files to it, copying support files to the Windows folder or its subfolders, creating Registry entries so Windows knows how to run them and creating shortcuts in the Start menu. Best or only solution is to reinstall in the new location as desired.

Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't think that is the issue.

I have made an exact copy on my new computer of the old computer. In terms of directories and even drives. The idea was not to lose/re-enter all the many directories that make up my programming environment. However I did need to "re-install" a suite of files because of the above error. The installer exe of that suite is what generated the error. What does it mean?? The installer was in the exact same position in the file system as before. Other suites have installed properly, as they should have. I have done this process before when moving from XP to Win7. To me it seems that Win 10 is doing something stupid, if only I could figure it out.

Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind now is the fact that WinXP and Win7 supported 16-bit and 32-bit programs and Win7 supported 64-bit but only the Pro version of WinXP supported 64-bit. Win10 and Win11 do not support 16-bit programs and maybe some 32-bit programs. The earlier versions of Windows including Win10 could be installed as either 32-bit or 64-bit depending upon the CPU but Win11 comes as 64-bit only but can still run many 32-bit programs that would run on Win10.

Reaction score
I solved it!

I was doing all of this on a Virtual Box machine, where I installed Windows 7. I was using a Drive D to store my development files. As the VM did not have a Drive D I made a folder c:\DeeDrive and then enabled share on it. Then I mapped Drive-D to that share.

It then occurred to me that the error message may have been trying to say that it could not find Drive-D because it was a network shared folder. [Plain English was of course not used in the error message.]

Added another drive via virtual box, which was recognized as Drive D, and moved all the stuff to that drive. Removed the mapped share. And it all started working.

Moral of the story : Don't try to understand obscure error message, but try to see what they are trying to say.

Reaction score
Moral of the story : Don't try to understand obscure error message, but try to see what they are trying to say.
True but having full information in the first post is a big thing such as the revelation of using a Virtual Box setup.

Ask a Question