Free Microsoft Office alternative 2020

Reaction score
Hi all,

as the title suggests, this is a shortlist of cost free Microsoft Office alternatives which are all good in their own right and offer almost the same features as MS Office.

1: LibreOffice:

2: OpenOffice:

3: WPS Office:

4: Google Docs:

It mIght only be for Android or a Google Chrome addon?.

5: Microsoft Free Office Web version:

6: Notepad Plus Plus:

7: Apple Pages:

For Mac and IOS only and available via the Apple App Store but I don't know if it is free of charge?.

I hope it is of use to you if you are looking for a free alternative to MS Office. :)

If anyone knows of any other free alternatives, please post them below!. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not my interest field, but, as you have included Notepad ??, I thought I should weigh in with the already incorporated Wordpad?

Reaction score
WPS I'm not a fan of. OpenOffice is kind of redundant since Libre is open source and born out of it. I find it hard to recommend anything other than LibreOffice for an alternative to the Office suite. Notepad++ is great, but not a good alternative to Word.

Reaction score
I thought I should weigh in with the already incorporated Wordpad?
Completely forgot about that one Dave!. :) That said, Wordpad is not a full-blown office replacement but is good for just writing text!. :)

@BigFeet , I use LibreOffice too, I haven't used OpenOffice in years and I tried WPS for a short time which I didn't really like either!. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Used them all at one time or another, usually install LibreOffice for my older clients as it still supports the Microsoft Works formats that the ladies used to create/type their recipes.

Reaction score
Hi all,

as the title suggests, this is a shortlist of cost free Microsoft Office alternatives which are all good in their own right and offer almost the same features as MS Office.

1: LibreOffice:

2: OpenOffice:

3: WPS Office:

4: Google Docs:

It mIght only be for Android or a Google Chrome addon?.

5: Microsoft Free Office Web version:

6: Notepad Plus Plus:

7: Apple Pages:

For Mac and IOS only and available via the Apple App Store but I don't know if it is free of charge?.

I hope it is of use to you if you are looking for a free alternative to MS Office. :)

If anyone knows of any other free alternatives, please post them below!. :)

Try Apache Office or G suite

Reaction score
Partial quote from https://www.howtogeek.com/411808/what-is-g-suite-anyway/

"G Suite is a collection of enterprise-based products—like Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, and so on—offered by Google via a monthly subscription platform to help streamline your business. But what’s the difference between it and the free apps?"

My daughter works for a high school that changed to it and doesn't have much good to say about it.

Ask a Question