Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 screen freezing and rebooting

Reaction score
I had downloaded Windows 10 back a month ago when the system started it main window screen came up then froze and rebooted, tried using the windows repair tool that failed decided to to take it to a computer repair shop.

Local shop said, " windows 7 os was on a 32GB SSD and windows 10 uses 32GB AND need an additional 7GB so I had him install a 1TB SSD with a NEW windows 10 Home addition. He ran it through it's paces and stated that it was good to go. Great paid my bill bring it home and reconnect mouse, key board, my dual 27 in monitors fire it up and wow was it fast and two mins later it freezes and reboots! Starts back up and reboots again!. NOT fixed take it back to him and three days later say it's been running for him without any issues - how can this be. Okay says it seems to be to bad usb port where I plug in my mouse and keyboard - um okay fine let me pick it up again and reconnect the the mouse and keyboard in different usb ports start up main windows screen comes up click on google icon and wham freezes and reboots - guess its not the usb ports after all. So I have a fast os when it want to play nice and run but it still freezes and reboots!

Now I am writing this while in safe mode and guess what it's not freezing or rebooting. I did look at the event viewer log and there quite a few event ID 41's

but what is the real story here I am not sure if I want to take this back to the guy for him to correct the issue that I paid him to fix in the first place.

Is this a hardware issue - power supply? Graphics card? or a software issue?

This computer is used for work I do CAD design when home after hours.

Note: this is a Microsoft ® Windows ® (Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202) if that has any bearing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF your system is running without issue in Safe Mode, the next thing you need to do is perform a Clean Boot

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.

Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.

Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Reaction score
What do you have connected to it that the repair guy doesn't? I've had a bad keyboard act very similar.

Reaction score
Just an extra monitor BUT everything was working safe mode, the mouse the keyboard the internet -zero reboots. The computer is using the same power outlet, the same surge stripe, the same RJ45 internet connector.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Still BigFeet's observation is very important.
Some hardware as well as some software, installs components such as drivers and services that are not called or allowed to be loaded when in Safe Mode, even Safe Mode with Networking. Often in such case a generic driver is substituted rather than a full blown software package that may include proprietary drivers and or services that are called and loaded in a normal boot environment.

That is why I recommended a "Clean Boot", which in many respects allows the end user to duplicate or at least simulate an almost Safe Mode type of condition, and then carefully examine which product might be impacting a Normal Boot.

Reaction score
Thank you. Starting to work on the clean boot process just got home from work. I am not discounting BigFeet's post, just taking things one at time to find the root cause.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK... you have a machine that apparently runs fine in your environment when in Safe Mode with Networking but not when booted normally.
AND
Apparently runs fine when normally booted as long as it is at the repair shop (not in your environment).

I would probably coordinate with the Tech guy and attempt to exactly duplicate his environment from the power cord to the mouse, keyboard and monitor even the ethernet cable, that's......
Assuming you believe him and or he can demonstrate to you that he can not duplicate your problem in his shop.
It seems from how you're describing the problem that it wouldn't be much of an time investment for him to show you that there is nothing wrong with your computer (which is basically what he is saying).

Otherwise I would cut my loses and backup my critical data, grab the latest ISO (not the one you are currently reporting as being installed) from Microsoft and make myself some bootable installation media and do a wipe and clean install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You should be able to use the Media Creation Tool from here

Generally they'll have the latest or at least pretty close to the latest of kosher, publicly available ISOs.
AND
Although I've never actually used it, they will actually help you create the bootable media you'll need, on a USB thumb drive or DVD if you have dual layer media and a dual layer burner, otherwise stick with a USB stick.

I usually just grab the ISO from there and then use a third party program called Rufus to create my own installation media.

Reaction score
It's been running but I am starting to think maybe power supply issue cause when I run youtube on google and youtube on edge browser ran for 3 mins then freeze rebooted. How to test the power supply?

Reaction score
There is no real way to test a power supply. They sell testers, but you can't test them while putting a load on it. The best way to test it is to swap it with a known good power supply. I'd rule everything else out first if you don't have a spare. If it ran fine for the tech, who I would assume stressed tested the PC, then I would doubt that's the issue. Although you can't rule anything out of course. My suspicions still would be some peripheral. Namely something plugged in to a usb port. But again, I can only guess without having the PC in front of me.

Ask a Question