WINDOWS7 upgrade to WINDOWS10

Reaction score
It appears that you can. You will need the valid Key for your Windows 7. Then you can download W10 from the MS download site and as you install it enter that W7 key. Note you need the correct version. Home -> Home or Pro to Pro and 64 bit -> 64 bit or 32 -> 32

If I had to do this I would download W10 and use Rufus to write to a USB key and install from that.

MS say this doesn't work but Cnet and ZDnet say that it still does. It would not surprise me if this works this week and stops working on Jan 1 2020 ( cynical me)

Reaction score
Yesterday using a blank HDD on an inexpensive HP Desktop I installed Win8.1 from a DVD created from the downloaded .iso file and it got activated. I then Upgraded to Win10 Home manually using the USB and it is activated. No Product Key was required as it is embedded in the motherboard or BIOS beginning with Win8.0. No cost was incurred for the Upgrade.

Reaction score
My PC is always error when I update to Windows 10 but I don't know why. each time has a different problem, most of time are about starting problem. Do you guys know why?
Hi tremblay,

you should start your own thread with more details about exactly what you are doing when Windows won't start as this can have many answers to many questions!.

Are you upgrading an existing system?. Are you trying to install from a USB stick/DVD drive?. Doing a clean install?. ;)

Ask a Question