recover files from windows7 32bit to windows10 64bit

Reaction score
My windows 7. 32 bit laptop gave up the ghost and is completely defunct. I had backed this up to external hard drive. I now have windows 10, 64 bit laptop and would like to recover, if possible, some of the files from the backup drive. Is this possible and how do i go about it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It would depend on what software product you used to perform the backup with and what format the files are in.
If you have access to the backed up files perhaps you could investigate the file format / file extension of the backups and share that information with us.
Take for instance a Windows System Image Backup..... they are usually in a .vhd / .vhdx file format (virtual hard disk). You can or should be able to mount the .vhd file and then use disk management to assign a drive letter and then browse the backups as if they were a normal drive and drag and drop those file you need to where ever you need them.

Ask a Question