Deleted File Recovery Programs & Corrupt Files

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Win 10, I find that if I recover deleted files which the recovery software reports as valid and NOT having been overwritten, these recovered files are said to be corrupt when trying to open them in their respective programs and thus don't open. I've downloaded & tried several recovery software programs, with the same result. The type of files attempting to be recovered doesn't seem to matter. Are there any settings in Win 10 that might be responsible for this? It was not a problem in Win 7. THANKS!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
if I recover deleted files which the recovery software reports as valid and NOT having been overwritten, these recovered files are said to be corrupt when trying to open them in their respective programs and thus don't open.
What "recovery software" are you using.
Sometimes recovered files will not contain the proper file extension and as a consequence the associated program will balk at opening them.
It can often be a case of simply editing the file name to include the appropriate file extension (.doc .xls .docx .xlsx .mp3 .jpg etc., etc.)

Reaction score
The latest recovery s/w is Recuva. But I've used others, with the same result. I've made sure the file extensions were OK, but no difference. Strange. This software (and others) worked OK with Win 7.

Ask a Question