Deleted files

Reaction score
hi
I upgraded to Windows 10 and all my files were there, when I went to my documents none of my files were in there so I moved my important documents into the my documents folder that seem to be the main one. This worked fine for a little while and then one night my computer updated and by the morning my screen had changed back to my old picture, all the post-it notes Had gone and when I went into my documents folder it only had my old documents in there not the ones that i moved out into the other my documents folder. If I search for the files they are listed as shortcuts and says it can't find them. I have restored, shadow explorer which found some but they were corrupt. I keep thinking they must be somewhere. I looked in Windows.old and nothing in there. I am so upset as I didn't have a back up stupidly. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks sarah

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
and then one night my computer updated and by the morning my screen had changed back to my old picture
It almost sounds like you have two profiles on the system.
Double check C:\Users
See if there are any other profile folders other that the one currently associated with your user name / account.

Reaction score
Hi
I had a look and it just says I have default, default migrated, public and my one.
I think the same but then there is no way to log in any differently. There are no files in those folders either apart from my one.
Sarah

Reaction score
Hi Sassy, backing up important data is always important and should be done regularly for the cases like this.

Nevertheless just try this, might be you find your files on this path

network (accept or turn on public sharing or whatever it is if it asks)> :Your computer name:> Users> :your name/user:> OneDrive>Documents

If still not get your files then download professional data recovery software like stellar and it will recover your lost files. Good Luck!!

Reaction score
You refer to "My documents". If you have the name correct, or it is not a folder you created yourself, then it is a junction folder and not normally accessible unless the security is altered.

Do you have, also, a folder
C:\Users\username\Documents ?
That is where user docs, etc. are usually stored.

Reaction score
You refer to "My documents". If you have the name correct, or it is not a folder you created yourself, then it is a junction folder and not normally accessible unless the security is altered.

Do you have, also, a folder
C:\Users\username\Documents ?
That is where user docs, etc. are usually stored.
Good tips!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Enjoy yourself and dive in.
The thread is a month old. Thanks for the posted tip, but I don't think it is relevant to this thread...or??

Reaction score
I solved this type problem for a friend. He also lost files after upgrading to Windows 10.
I recovered the file by using Disk Drill from http://www.cleverfiles.com/
It worked very well. I was able to recover all the documents, images and videos of the folders I wanted.
You can use it.

Ask a Question