File Explorer Files Cannot Be Deleted Says No Longer There

Reaction score
I am running File Explorer in Windows 10 and it displays some files and folders In a portable (F) that I cannot delete. When I try it says "This is no longer located in F:. I have hit F5 to refresh, rebooted and even ran defrag to eliminate this problem. It does show a file size for the files located in these folders. I have also installed LockHunter software to delete these folders and files; it didn't work. It says "no processes locking this file have been found", and "Cannot delete file..." I have another program called Directory Lister that also finds these files. I also have tried accessing them using C Prompt, which will display the folders and files but cannot be used to delete them. What gives?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may have better luck if you run the native Check Disk utility against the drive and see if there is some problem with the MFT or Volume Bitmap.
Right click the start button and choose Command prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt windows type
chkdsk F: /R (where F: is the drive letter you are having problems with)
hit enter
Let it run and see if it provides any information.
See if the files are still present and if so if you can successfully get rid of them afterwards.

Reaction score
You may have better luck if you run the native Check Disk utility against the drive and see if there is some problem with the MFT or Volume Bitmap.
Right click the start button and choose Command prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt windows type
chkdsk F: /R (where F: is the drive letter you are having problems with)
hit enter
Let it run and see if it provides any information.
See if the files are still present and if so if you can successfully get rid of them afterwards.
Ok, I ran chkdsk, which took over 7 hours. Windows found no problems, and I still have my same problem. It says "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in F:\ (file location). Verify the file's location and try again." I suppose I could take everything off that portable drive, and format it, but that's a bit drastic and very time consuming (by the time I copy everything back).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check Disk didn't report any problems with the drive after it completed?
I've had some decent luck booting from a Linux Live Distro, which has helped me get rid of some stubborn files in the past.
If you're willing to give something like that a try.... try this
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205
Use a geographical location close to you and once you have the ISO use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD and boot from it.
Don't install it, just stay in the Live environment and browse to the file(s) and see if you can delete them from Linux.

Reaction score
Seven hours for the Chkdsk...Yikes.

Does this portable drive have any proprietary software?

What are the file extensions?

Are there other files on the drive which would prevent the drive being cleaned?

Reaction score

I've had some decent luck booting from a Linux Live Distro, which has helped me get rid of some stubborn files in the past.
Use a geographical location close to you and once you have the ISO use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD and boot from it.
Don't install it, just stay in the Live environment and browse to the file(s) and see if you can delete them from Linux.
Chkdsk did not find any problems. I may give it a try using Linux but I'm hesitant because I've never used the Linux O/S. I think I'll try hold off on that for now. One thing I've noticed is that when I right click and bring up properties the file size shown is zero. In explorer it shows a file size but not in properties. I cannot open any of these files, cannot change their names or do anything with them. This portable drive is just a backup of files from my laptop so I am starting to think I'll just format it and deal with it that way. This is taking up too much time and I'm running out of other ideas.

Reaction score

This is a Western Digital portable drive and yes it does have some software but I haven't used it. I assume it is the usual backup s/w. I don't use any backup s/w on this drive, I just periodically copy over files from my laptop. The file extensions should be .mp3 but I see that the file extensions are missing. In fact, the file names are truncated, another mystery. No, there aren't any other files on the drive that would cause this problem that I know of. There are several folders with various files but none that should be causing a problem like this.

Ask a Question