SOLVED USB 3 ExFat Drive with large video files crash Explorer

Reaction score
I am a video director. I have numerous 1TB drives, USB 3. They are formatted with ExFAT. Files are typically large: 50Gig and better. Worked and readable fine in windows 7. Could read, write, edit with them. But not in Win10. Plug it drive, it is recognized. But once you start to click files, computer freezes. Happens in at least 2 different different Win10 computers, one upgraded, one original install. If I open an application first, like quicktime player, can see files, run them, rename them, copy them. But in Explorer: freeze/crash. Any ideas???? thx!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Mark and welcome to the forum.
Give this a try and see if it helps at all.
Click the start button and just type
File Explorer Options
It should appear at the top of any list that is produced, select it and then
Select the View tab
Check the box at the very top that says "Always show icons, never thumbnails".
Click OK

Reaction score
Wow... that seems to actually work! I have to do some more testing, and try doing some copying, but stable so far. I guess not having to render a thumbnail of a 60gig hi-res file makes a difference. Thx for the suggestion!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess not having to render a thumbnail of a 60gig hi-res file makes a difference
Apparently so.
The problem has been around a while and crops up every now and again and seems to be related, often, to certain vid file formats. I remember certain .mkv and .mov files at one point.

Reaction score
Never had the problem in Win7 (with thumbnails), which it was so surprising/confounding to see it in win10. I had resorted to copying drives to drive through a chrome book... but that seemed the coward' s way out! Again... many thanks for the idea!

Ask a Question