SOLVED Deleted windows.old file now stuck in a boot loop... help?

Reaction score
So I went in and took permission over windows.old and deleted it using shredder.. I did this after downloading a new version of windows and it told me I needed 4 more gigs. This is right after I did a system recovery to get more space just to download the update!! Well anyways now in stuck on the automatic repair and was wondering if there is a simple fix to this. I copyed the windows.old folder to an external hard drive but like a dumb ass I didn't do the whole system backup... Didn't think I'd need it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the root of your problem may be linked to a critical lack of available space on your system drive.

Generally speaking the Windows.OLD folder is of no consequence and is really only present to facilitate the "Go Back" function of the repair process in the event of an unsuccessful upgrade experience.
IF you got rid of the OLD..... Windows.OLD folder, the upgrade process should have created a new one as part of the way it generally works, SO.....

You may be able to boot from the installation media and use the "repair your computer" link on the second page and from there get to Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting and see if you have that option "Go Back" available to you.

RepairYourComputer.png

To get to here

CommandPrompt.JPG

Reaction score
When I try to go back to a previous build it says it can't be found and to restore my current one. I've been all over the ney looking for a simple fix and the only thing I can find that might work is to get a bootable usb and then reinstall from there but I don't have access to another windows computer. At the moment. Is there anyway I can copy to windows.old back to the ssd from an external HD using command prompt or anything in the advanced options menu?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there anyway I can copy to windows.old back to the ssd from an external HD using command prompt
Sure, there is a "Command Prompt" option on the advanced trouble shooting screen.
Depending on how good you are at the command prompt..... You'll need to locate your actual install partition, which may not be C:\ as partitions are often enumerated differently from a command prompt that starts in X:\Source.
AND
Depending of course on available space since that may still remain an underlying issue.

CHECK on line for the exact syntax including switches to copy a folder from one partition to another otherwise you'll just end up with a Windows.OLD folder without any contents.
Look into xcopy and or robocopy

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know the command prompt language but I understand the idea of it, so I'll look further into it when I get out of work and also try and get my hands on another windows PC so I can make a bootable usb and just start fresh.. I was also thinking that if I'm going to do all that would it be better to go with a Linux os instead?

Reaction score
Ended up making a bootable usb using my work computer. Got her to boot, deleted all old files on computer, and then installed windows from bootdrive, booted it up from the ssd and installed drivers and updates.. Running smooth now

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear that you're back, up and running.
Thanks for the update.

Reaction score
Just for future reference, a path to the Windows.old folder is set up in the BCD store for booting. Probably used for rollbacks to facilitate that process.

I would suggest starting the process of deleting the Windows.old folder in the prescribed manner, from within Windows. There have been and will be again, some folders/files which will not allow removal, but once you have followed the correct procedure, maybe deleting those in your manner will not hurt. I normally just take permission or perhaps start explorer as admin will help.

I don't suppose you have an option to install a larger drive?

Reaction score
I thought I did go threw all the procedures to delete windows.old I had new windows file on there and did research Online and didn't see anyone having problems with it.

But yes I could install a bitter ssd but I don't need it I have a 2tb hdd with file back up and a flash drive with my window ios booter if I run out of space and have to do the procedures all over again

Ask a Question