Windows.old folder still has just one file. Folder can't be deleted

Reaction score
I waited for Windows 10 to get rid of Windows .old and Windows.~BT folders but it never happened. If the scheduled task for disk cleanup is supposed to do it I discovered the task will only run on my laptop when I am plugged into power and only if the system is idle. That does not happen very often on this laptop.
So I decided to use the disk cleanup app built into Windows to remove previous operating systems and installation files. It got rid of the Windows.~BT folder and emptied the Windows.old file of everything except one folder within Windows.old for something in folder AMD64_prnLx00.inf....... and file Lxktptprc.dll.mui. I can not delete or rename it and I have the correct privileges. This laptop has dual boot with Windows 8.1 on one side and Windows 10 now on the other. Windows 10 upgraded my W7Pro side over a month ago.

I got all my space back but would like to know if there is a way to finally remove the Windows.old folder.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You can use Ccleaner to get rid of the windows.old folder completely. Some have experienced tiny ill effects while almost 95% report no issues at all using it. It does work and I have used it to remove the windows.old folder and no ill effects for me.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I think you issue is more in line with the dual boot setup where some of the load files from 7 to 10 upgrade reside on the 8.1 side hence your troubles for removing those particular files. Normally, it's pretty straight forward using either method to remove the windows.old folder.

Reaction score
Not entirely in keeping with the thread, but:

I have also used Ccleaner for many years. However, two days ago, I was tidying up with the clean disk program and Ccleaner. I had applied no hacks etc., . On the single occasion, I was unable to reboot into Windows 10 - Just a black screen. Tried all the tricks and, finally, had to put back an image.

It could have been a particular function of my customisation which Ccleaner damaged. When I am inclined, I'll give it another go.

Reaction score
I waited for Windows 10 to get rid of Windows .old and Windows.~BT folders but it never happened. If the scheduled task for disk cleanup is supposed to do it I discovered the task will only run on my laptop when I am plugged into power and only if the system is idle. That does not happen very often on this laptop.
So I decided to use the disk cleanup app built into Windows to remove previous operating systems and installation files. It got rid of the Windows.~BT folder and emptied the Windows.old file of everything except one folder within Windows.old for something in folder AMD64_prnLx00.inf....... and file Lxktptprc.dll.mui. I can not delete or rename it and I have the correct privileges. This laptop has dual boot with Windows 8.1 on one side and Windows 10 now on the other. Windows 10 upgraded my W7Pro side over a month ago.

I got all my space back but would like to know if there is a way to finally remove the Windows.old folder.

Run Disc cleanup from programs/ system and click advanced. look for the old windows and tepm install fils to remove both, this frees up a lot of hard drive space.
I don't think ccleaner will remove those files.

Reaction score
Not sure where that path is??

Disk Cleanup is down in "All Apps" - Windows administrative Tools. Right click it and run as Administrator.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I will typically resort to the command line for some of these things.
Right click the Start Button and choose
Command prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt windows type
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter
That will provide a list, from which I generally will choose all of the options available, and click OK. That will set a registry value so going forward you will only need to type the following as you've set the parameters for it in the previous command.
Then in the same command prompt window type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
Let it do its' thing.

NOTE: Even that will sometimes still not get rid of Windows.OLD
And you may still need to explicitly take ownership of the container (Making yourself the owner of Windows.OLD and all child objects) and explicitly disable inheritance from the parent container and explicitly grant your user account full control of the Windows.OLD folder and all subfolders and files (child objects). I will always do this work myself manually but if you need a little help there is a nice little tool that will help the take ownership process located here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Ask a Question