What is "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Caches" folder for?

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Caches" is for? (Yes, it contains cache files... I get that far! :)).

The reason I'm asking is that a couple of times in the last couple of weeks the disc utilisation on my C: drive (SSD) has been continuously at 100% and I've traced the cause as writes and reads of files in this folder.

When I rename or delete the folder and reboot the problem goes away. Windows recreates the folder and starts writing to files in it. This happens but the 100% disc utilisation issue does not recur and the problem is solved... till the next time.

Example filenames in this folder are:
  • {6AF0698E-D558-4F6E-9B3C-3716689AF493}.2.ver0x000000000000001d.db
  • cversions.2.db

SearchIndexer.exe, I think, is the main process writing to the folder so maybe I've answered my own question, but what I'm really hoping for is to find a way for the problem to never recur.

I tried rebuilding the Windows Search database manually through the interface but I've had the 100% disc utilisation issue after I did that.

Any ideas?

Ask a Question