Recover files from Mac formatted Windows drive

Reaction score
I have a laptop running both Windows 10 and MacOSX. Accidentally, I erased the Windows drive in Mac OSX when trying to create an OSX USB installer drive, and 6GB data (the installer files) got written to the drive.

What can I do now to recover my data? I have seen most recovery softwares are file specific, I would like to recovery especially my Sony Vegas .veg project files.

Is there any hope to recover the drive to bootable state?

As I am trying to recover windows stored files from a Mac system reformatted state, is it better doing it from Mac OSX or from Windows?

Reaction score
As I am trying to recover windows stored files from a Mac system reformatted state, is it better doing it from Mac OSX or from Windows?
Windows may not be able to read the Mac drive formatting. I've had success in putting a Mac drive in a docking station attached to my Linux Mint computer. Most versions of Linux can work with many formats. It's also possible to boot to a Linux LiveDVD using a non-Mac computer and work with files, maybe copy to a USB drive, thumb or HDD/SSD.

Reaction score
Hello, you mean you have written new data to your formatted drive? It may hard to get your data back. But I think you can try the Bitwar Data Recovery again, for it supports deep scan which may help you find your lost files. Hope can help you.

Reaction score
I think after nearly a year [Sep 2, 2018] the problem has been taken care of.

Ask a Question