Files Recovery after Formatting

Reaction score
So, I upgraded windows 7 to windows 10 and didn't like the performance. So I formatted my laptop and did a clean install of windows 10 as recommended. However during the process, I lost some files that I didn't remember to backup. Is there a way to recover those files? or this process completely erase the hard drive?
Thank you in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Your chances at best are maybe 50 / 50.
If where they resided on the hard drive has not been overwritten you may be able to recover some of them.
I would look into something like GetDataBack by RunTime Software. I've had some luck with it in similar circumstances.
Get the drive out of the system and hook it up to another system and purchase, install and run GetDataBack and then .....
Keep your fingers crossed.
It's possible, but I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up too high.
https://www.runtime.org/ccform.htm

Reaction score
As Trouble mentioned, if the files were on a different partitions they may not have been effected.

But do you have any backups made prior to reformatting. If you had a System Image you would be able to pull specific files from that.

Ask a Question