SSD Upgrade assistance.

Reaction score
Hey Geniuses,

So I want to buy an SSD for my PC and UserBenchMark says it's compatible. Though after some research it looks like it will need an adapter.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBui...9.737782vsS428-M1683.7766.1379.737782?tab=SSD because it is not immediately obvious how it will install otherwise.

My build is on the right with my ideal build on the left.

While on my information gathering exercise, I came across this forum discussion below, saying I will not be able to use it as a boot drive?

Please advise me on:

1. Is what the forum says about boot compatibility for the SSD worth ignoring?
  2. That now ignored, where do I plug the SSD into my motherboard?
  3. If that does need an adapter, can you recommend one?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
It definitely would need a PCEe adapter to work. If people are saying there's problems with that specific motherboard being able to boot from it, I wouldn't ignore that if you're planing on installing Windows on it. I'm not familiar with that board, so I can't tell you for sure if it will work.

Reaction score
What I find of note is that there's 2 physical types of SSD drives, the M.2 and the standard ports with cable for the 3.5" for Desktops and the socket for 2.5" in Notebooks. The M.2 has to have either an onboard socket or, as mentioned, a type of adapter. There is a possibility that using an adapter may not give quite the performance expected.

Ask a Question