SOLVED SSD Not Recogonized in boot sequence

Reaction score
I have an HP ENVY DESKTOP 795-0030 running Win 10 advanced. I previously had an HP Desktop with the SSD running Win10 PRO. I took the SSD out of the old PC and added it to the new. I read that the boot in Win10 is now in the BIOS. When I looked there all I see is

UEFI Boot Sources
OS Boot Manager
Windows Boot Manager ( Intel Data-Volume)
ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
USB HD
USB Floppy
Network Controller

I do not see the HD it is booting from nor the SSD. When I look in Device Configuration they are there.
Hard Disk
SATA2 240.o GB, KingstonsV300S37A240
STAT4 1.0 TB, ST1000M003-1SB102
M.2 14.4GB, Intel Mempek1J016GA1H
CD-ROM

I ran a bcdedit which is attached. How can I add the SSD to the boot with this PC?

Attachments

• bcdedit.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
I will need more info on the actual installed working drives. You need to remove any that are no essential to your system. So which drive is your boot drive? A Disk Management picture would help.

If you are not familiar with Diskpart, let us know because you may have to use it to see your actual configuration.

The BCDedit shows it is looking at the 3rd partition for the Boot files. That only means something if you know which drive is primary and look at the third partition it or some other combination where the third partition is the System EFI.

Reaction score
There is no reason to worry about Diskpart until you supply the requested info, a snipping tool picture of Disk Management showing your drives. Diskpart may not even be needed, I just asked if you were familiar..

Reaction score
I have the feeling that the old SSD is in the MBR configuration, the new computer is setup as UEFI. Therefore the PC cannot find the old disk. If he sets the BIOS to "legacy" he may be able to boot from the old disk, however he will not be able to boot from the original disk in the newer computer...

This is just an educated guess, just throwing my 2 cents in here

Reaction score
STAT4 1.0 TB, ST1000M003-1SB102 this is the disk it is booting with.
SATA2 240.o GB, KingstonsV300S37A240 This is the SSD I want it to boot with.

I tried the legacy boot and it just showed the same devices as before.

ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
USB HD
USB Floppy
Network Controller

Reaction score
I changed the SSD from MBR to GPT but I think it still needs to be added to the BIOS. I am reading about flashing the BIOS on the HP website now.

Reaction score
The BCD Store shows it is a UEFI boot, but it appears that is on the Original HDD. If the Kingston drive is the SSD you are wanting to add, it has to be set as first boot priority, assuming you did not reinstall the OS onto it. The fact it already had some version of Won 10 on it may mean it will not transfer to the new system due to license, but you should at least be able to see the drive.

Windows 10 always uses a Windows Boot Manager as the primary Boot device. I do not know what the OS Loader you are showing, is, unless you are using something to set up a dual boot with the two drives.

Many of my questions might be answered with a picture of the Disk Management window. So I will wait for that and hope you are taking care of the License situation.

Reaction score
I formatted the SSD and installed a new operating system on it and it is working. In fact, I shut down and restarted and even when it was in the 2nd HD shot it still booted the PC. So, so much for this SSD not being compatible or it needing to be in the #1 slot.

Ask a Question