No power from SSD when waking from sleep Windows 10

Reaction score
Today I had to leave the house (I went biking yay), so I opened the power menu from the Windows button, and selected the option for my Dell Inspiron i5577 laptop to "Sleep." I come back later, hit the power button to turn the laptop on, and lo and behold, the power button light turns on. There is absolutely no power to the display of my laptop. My "gaming" mouse's rgb backlight is off, but whenever I click it, the rgb light comes on. It stays on as long as I hold the left or right click. My external monitor says there is no input from my laptop. I hold the power button down until the light on the power button turns off. I wait for a few seconds and then hold the power button to boot my laptop. I strongly believe it's due to no power going to the SSD when it comes back from sleep. It works fine now, but I do not understand what caused this and does this damage my laptop's hardware?

Important info - the SSD is a PM961 NVMe SAMSUNG SSD. INTERFACE - PCIe Gen. 3x4. TRIM status - Enabled. NVMe Driver - Samsung. RAPID Mode - Not supported. I can't seem to find any official drivers off of Samsung's website; the SSD isn't even listed there. I have found some other "unofficial" drivers but they're outdated or don't give enough information about the driver update.

Please see the video if you don't understand what I'm saying above -
View:

Video description - i strongly believe that it's due to a software bug because an update from Dell's website for my laptop model to update the SSD and the update notes stated -

"Fixes: - Fixed the blue screen or system hang due to DRAM data corruption

Enhancement: - Improvements to Data Recovery" from the Intel SSDSCKKF180/256/360/512H6DN and SSDSC2KF256/360/512H6DN Series Solid State Drive Firmware Update.

Another update notes lists -

"Fixes: - Fixes the issue where the system is unable to exit from sleep mode as the solid-state drive (SSD) stops responding Enhancement: - N/A" from the TOSHIBA KSG60ZSE256/512G and KSG60ZMV256/512G Series Solid State Drive Firmware Update.

as you can see, I believe the Toshiba drive update is more based on my issue. however, the SSD that came in my laptop was a Samsung SSD, so the installation doesn't go through.

Note - if you're going to reply, please don't reply once and never reply again. yes I've tried updating all the drivers but Dell makes it insanely hard to update so I may have missed an update. I don't want anything to do with Dell software as well. thanks.

Reaction score
Dell will normally run their NVMe drives with and Intel controller. Since it is not using the NMVe controller, the Magician software will not be able to communicate with it.

I don't know your system but you have to be careful as to what you use to bring the system out of sleep or you may be actually shutting it down. Sometimes, whether the external power was plugged in could make a difference. The drive runs on the PCIe bus which is normally powered any time the system is active.

Having a black screen is different and might help if the system was connected to an external monitor. Some of the recent Windows updates also mention black screen situations.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does the laptop exhibit the same symptoms / problems, if.....
You disconnect all the external devices (monitor, keyboard, mouse, whatever) and use only the native devices on the laptop itself??

Reaction score
Dell will normally run their NVMe drives with and Intel controller. Since it is not using the NMVe controller, the Magician software will not be able to communicate with it.

I don't know your system but you have to be careful as to what you use to bring the system out of sleep or you may be actually shutting it down. Sometimes, whether the external power was plugged in could make a difference. The drive runs on the PCIe bus which is normally powered any time the system is active.

Having a black screen is different and might help if the system was connected to an external monitor. Some of the recent Windows updates also mention black screen situations.
Quick reminder, please look at the video attached. It's extremely obvious that there is a secondary external monitor that I use and it receives no input from my lapotp.

I know for a fact that I am putting the computer to sleep, there is no doubt in my mind. I have no clue however what wakes it from sleep.

I have installed a new BIOS update and I really hope that that update, along with an SSD update that I have installed (no clue if it worked, don't know how to check) could help to counter this issue.

Reaction score
Does the laptop exhibit the same symptoms / problems, if.....
You disconnect all the external devices (monitor, keyboard, mouse, whatever) and use only the native devices on the laptop itself??
I really don't want to unplug my keyboard and mouse as seen in the video, it would cause too much unnecessary wear and tear. I also have a Logitech wireless USB plugged in my laptop that is my wireless headset that I use. I doubt that that Logitech wireless headset is causing the issue.

I have installed a new BIOS update and I really hope that that update, along with an SSD update that I have installed (no clue if it worked, don't know how to check) could help to counter this issue.

Reaction score
What is the mouse connected to? It seems to be running over toward the other system, which resembles a 7567..

If you want to see what is waking it, just after the wake occurs, go into the admin command prompt and type powercfg /lastwake Maybe it will show what is doing that.

You normally need to disconnect a mouse and keyboard, although if you have laptops then you can. If you are using something like a KVM switch it might matter.

Reaction score
What is the mouse connected to? It seems to be running over toward the other system, which resembles a 7567..

If you want to see what is waking it, just after the wake occurs, go into the admin command prompt and type powercfg /lastwake Maybe it will show what is doing that.

You normally need to disconnect a mouse and keyboard, although if you have laptops then you can. If you are using something like a KVM switch it might matter.
Today I had to leave the house (I went biking yay), so I opened the power menu from the Windows button, and selected the option for my Dell Inspiron i5577 laptop to "Sleep." I come back later, hit the power button to turn the laptop on, and lo and behold, the power button light turns on. There is absolutely no power to the display of my laptop. My "gaming" mouse's rgb backlight is off, but whenever I click it, the rgb light comes on. It stays on as long as I hold the left or right click. My external monitor says there is no input from my laptop. I hold the power button down until the light on the power button turns off. I wait for a few seconds and then hold the power button to boot my laptop. I strongly believe it's due to no power going to the SSD when it comes back from sleep. It works fine now, but I do not understand what caused this and does this damage my laptop's hardware?

The laptop is an i5577. Please read the original post if you are not sure what the laptop model is.
I've tried the powercfg /lastwake before and it told me that the system woke up from the press of a power button. It specifically states -

Code:
"Type: fixed feature
Power button"

Reaction score
The laptop is an i5577. Please read the original post if you are not sure what the laptop model is.
I always read the posts and the comment was not meant to imply it was a 7567, especially since it doesn't make any difference.

Some monitors can switch inputs when no signal is present, maybe it isn't switching back to the correct input.

Have you tried doing the same thing without closing the lid on the laptop? I don't run my system all from the laptop, if I want an external monitor I will use my dock.

Next time you wake it, try just using the spacebar on the laptop.

How do you have the monitor configuration set up on your system? Are you mirroring or leaving one display off or what?

Reaction score
I always read the posts and the comment was not meant to imply it was a 7567, especially since it doesn't make any difference.

Some monitors can switch inputs when no signal is present, maybe it isn't switching back to the correct input.

Have you tried doing the same thing without closing the lid on the laptop? I don't run my system all from the laptop, if I want an external monitor I will use my dock.

Next time you wake it, try just using the spacebar on the laptop.

How do you have the monitor configuration set up on your system? Are you mirroring or leaving one display off or what?
1. The monitor is not at fault, that I'm sure of.
2. The lid was open before, I just closed it and tried to see if that would do anything to my system. It didn't do anything at all. So, lid sensors are not working. As far as I know, this issue does not happen if the lid is closed.
3. I will try to use spacebar off of laptop and see if that does anything, thanks for telling me. Any specific reason why the spacebar of all the keys?
4. I have it set up so it uses the monitor as the default and the laptop monitor is off when connected from the HDMI cord.

Reaction score
Hi,

have you tried resetting the power settings?:

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Click on the Power Options icon.
3. Click on Change advanced power settings.
4. Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.

See if that helps. :)

Reaction score
Hi,

have you tried resetting the power settings?:

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Click on the Power Options icon.
3. Click on Change advanced power settings.
4. Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.

See if that helps. :)
I don't think it's an issue with the power plan, but I can try that and report back.

Ask a Question