New M.2 SSD running slow

Reaction score

HP Pavilion 690-0067c OSP: Win10 64bit
Recently installed the new SSD a Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe 500GB PCIe 2X4. Speeds just didn’t seem to be great so I tried to figure it out & finally got someone at Samsung that helped me. Told me to make sure I had Samsung Magician installed and to run a test, did so & gave him the write speed of 1608 & he told me that was way to slow so he had me look further and it is listed in Samsung Magician as PCIe Generation 2X4 not what I should have, I should show PCIe 3X4. He told me to be sure my PC will run this SSD & from what I have found in my research and from talking to other more qualified than me it will. Now I cant figure what to change in the BIOS to make it show up as PCIe 3X4 & why this would install as PCIe 2X4 & not 3X4. Anyone know how to change this to get better speeds. I do not see a choice in my Bios for either 2 X 4 or 3 X 4. Just shows the Samsung SSD. Now should I disconnect the 2nd Non SSD drive (WD Black 2TB) in the PC until I get this corrected as the BIOS lists it as the 1st drive and I cant seem to make it stick when I change it in the Bios. Why ?. I have made several changes in my old PC in the Win7 BIOS but it was easier to deal with.

HP PC Motherboard name: Sunflower SID: 8433 Processor socket: AM4
Expansion Slots:
One PCIe x16 slot
One PCIe x4 slot
One M.2 socket 1, key A
One M.2 socket 3, key M

Chipset: AMD Promontory FCH
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR4
Processor socket: AM4

Anything else I can provide let me know.

Thanks

Reaction score
About all I can tell you is first, check the device Manager and look in the Storage controllers section and see if it shows a Samsung NVMe Controller.

I don't have the specs of your systems but the M.2 slot may have certain options, such as using x2 or x4 lanes. Such a selection may depend on other devices running with other resources.

As far as PCIe 2.0 or PCIe 3.0, that should be given in the specifications for that slot or even the system itself. On my desktop system with two M.2 slots, it shows PCIe 3.0 x4 mode and the other PCIe 3.0 X4 and SATA modes. I am not sure what an M.2 key A is unless it is for Wi-Fi adapters so you should not be able to use it for the 970.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, in Storage Controllers it has 2 entries, Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller and Samsung NVMe Controller. Where did you find the information or where was it located showing PCLe 3 X 4 etc. I can’t find any info like that in my BIOS but it does show both my WD Black HD and the Samsung 970.

Reaction score
The info on the M.2 slots should be in your specs. at the front of the book where it lists ports and such.

I can't find your exact ASUS motherboard but if you could give me a link, I will check.

PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 or different versions of PCIe, like Bluetooth 4.0 and 5.0 and PCIe 3.0 is much faster.

Reaction score
In device manager, right click each Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller and Samsung NVMe Controller entry and try update driver.

I had to do this for some of my drives to get them up to speed.

Reaction score
Samsung has special drivers for Windows 10 and NVMe 2 SSDs. also many Samsung NVME 2 were known to be bogus.
WD version and Samsung version all have different speeds. and are determined by CPU, Memory and motherboard Drivers.
suggest you use WD drivers for such and get the newest Samsung Drivers for them. also a nice FREE program to check you HDD/SSD is CrystalDisk Info.

Reaction score
The info on the M.2 slots should be in your specs. at the front of the book where it lists ports and such.

I can't find your exact ASUS motherboard but if you could give me a link, I will check.

PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 or different versions of PCIe, like Bluetooth 4.0 and 5.0 and PCIe 3.0 is much faster.

This is an HP & has a Sunflower MB, whatever that is. Should be called a Sour Flower MB for what you can’t do with it. The HD is a Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe 500GB PCIe My Samsung Magician tool which comes with the HD does many things like tells you exactly what you are running, speed it is running at, I get read 1620 & write 1601, 1/2 of what I should get. The HP MB is only capable of 2X4 which really irritates me. HP NO tech support is of NO help. They do have some PC's with MB's that will run higher but I haven’t been able to get that info out of them. So looks like I might have wasted my money. So now I'm trying to figure which MB I can buy that my AMD processor will fit on and fit into the case. Any advice.

Expansion Slots

HP PC Motherboard name: Sunflower SID: 8433 Processor socket: AM4
Expansion Slots:
One PCIe x16 slot
One PCIe x4 slot
One M.2 socket 1, key A
One M.2 socket 3, key M

AMD Ryzen7-1700
  • CPU speed: 3.0 GHz (max turbo boost - 3.7 GHz)
  • CPU cores: 8 (16 threads)
  • CPU Cache (L3): 16 MB
  • TDP: 65 W
  • Socket: AM4
Customised size: 24.4x26.7 cm (9.6x10.5 in)

Reaction score
Samsung has special drivers for Windows 10 and NVMe 2 SSDs. also many Samsung NVME 2 were known to be bogus.
WD version and Samsung version all have different speeds. and are determined by CPU, Memory and motherboard Drivers.
suggest you use WD drivers for such and get the newest Samsung Drivers for them. also a nice FREE program to check you HDD/SSD is CrystalDisk Info.
Samsung Magician is that program

Reaction score
M2 nvme ssds run at different speeds, due to what your mobo has. my 970 EVO M Key- I also use the Samsung Win10 Driver. Not Windows.
I get better speed with Samsung Drivers... I also make sure the Firmware is latest. as you can see both tests are very close only Crystal disk is far less intrusive.
1576536637148.png

Samsung test
1576539400493.png

I have several Clients use HP and I have never found them HP to publish false info. I also use Ryzen CPU 5 -2700x and 9 - 3900x, and you should make sure you always get the latest Drivers from AMD for your AMD CPUs. I also see that HP offers Chipsets now by OS v and insure you have the latest BIOs.

Reaction score
H use the newest bios, samsung nvme driver and bios. And chipset.
I have an HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0023ng and HWINfo, SiSoftSandra and so on say the slot is x4 but only using x2. And that was with the original Intel SSD and with my new samsung 970 evo plus.

Reaction score
That is what I have heard about it only using X2 and what I have been told by Samsung that the HP board I have appears to only support X2 so without changing the board I'm stuck. This is supposed to be a gaming PC, my old AMD Athalon 3 core is just as fast as this PC. What I wnated to find out from HP is what MB do they have that I could buy put my processor etc on with the Samsung 870 to get faster speeds, I cant seem to get that info out of them so I''m trying to find out info on what MB I could use, otherwise I made a stupid buy.

Reaction score
M2 nvme ssds run at different speeds, due to what your mobo has. my 970 EVO M Key- I also use the Samsung Win10 Driver. Not Windows.
I get better speed with Samsung Drivers... I also make sure the Firmware is latest. as you can see both tests are very close only Crystal disk is far less intrusive.
View attachment 11028
Samsung test View attachment 11029
I have several Clients use HP and I have never found them HP to publish false info. I also use Ryzen CPU 5 -2700x and 9 - 3900x, and you should make sure you always get the latest Drivers from AMD for your AMD CPUs. I also see that HP offers Chipsets now by OS v and insure you have the latest BIOs.
I am only getting 1/2 the speed you are getting & I use Samsung drivers & have disccussed all this with Samsung, they are very helpful but not the same from HP.

Reaction score
In device manager, right click each Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller and Samsung NVMe Controller entry and try update driver.

I had to do this for some of my drives to get them up to speed.
What is your motherboard?

Did you get normal speed?

Ask a Question