DUAL BOOT up on A SSD

Reaction score
In windows 10, is there a way to have a SSD divided so that you have the ability of Person "A" to start up the laptop and run their programs with out access to the other partition of the HARD DRIVE "SSD" SO that person B can start up the computer and run his programs and apps and not have any of Person A stuff open or available ? A Dual Boot DRIVE using the same operating system ( WIN 10) ? If so would it have to be installed twice once in each partition ? Im a newbie at this Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
two systems open on the same machine??? I'd like to know about that too.... IMHO impossible

Although you can use different user accounts for each of them but still can't use both at the same time IMHO..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is no method that I can think of from a practical standpoint where you would be able to prevent a user who is a member of the local administrators group from accessing anything present on a physical disk.
Such a user would be able to grant his or herself full permissions to any file or folder

In the event that one of the two users was not a member of the local administrators group then all Windows 10 installs on NTFS volumes will support explicit "deny" permissions to a single user or groups of users to any specific file or folder.
In which case a second install would not be necessary.

There may be some inelegant methods involving certain encryption tools (which I would never recommend) that would support preventing access to certain files, folders, partitions or whole drives

None of which supports as @Grizzly states, running two Operating Systems simultaneously.
The only means of doing that, that I know of, would be running one inside a Virtual Machine.

Reaction score
Well you can hide files/folders where users cannot see. Plus the apps from the MS store are downloaded using your accounts and would only be visible to the account that logged in.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well you can hide files/folders where users cannot see.
Nope.... you really can't.
Make me a member of the local administrators group on any computer and I can pretty much remove any hidden or system attribute you may have applied to hide a file or folder as well as grant myself full control to any folder, even it means taking ownership.

You could off-load them to a USB thumb drive and put them in your pocket but that's about the extent of hiding

Reaction score
Yes I know but most users don't know about the hidden file/folder feature. I'm say you can get an administrator that can create 2 accounts and taylor them to be somewhat secure from each other. I'm taking this on a PC with 2 home type users not power users. I know that anyone can unhide files but if the user doesn't know the folder or file is there why would they try to unhide? Since most non power users don't know that you can hide files.

Reaction score
While you cannot perform a 'dual boot' solution, you can with proper planning create something that is workable.
  1. Create partitions for the OS, for USER-A, and USER-B.
  2. Install the OS on the primary partition
  3. If you are using Windows 10 Pro or higher you should be able to encrypt USER-A and USER-B partitions, otherwise, you will need a third party application. This will require a password to access data. I believe you can also encrypt your Users folder as well.
  4. Install applications to user-specific partitions
  5. Documents and files that must be protected from other users in a multi-user environment should be saved to the appropriate partition.
The limitation of this implementation is that each user must remember to install applications and important files to the correct partition and remember their password for the partition and/or user folder. Also, many applications install for all users instead of per user. So if both users want to access common software, they must install it to the common drive.
This method works well for me on our business laptops.

I forgot to mention that you should create a User profile for both Users so that each User has to log in with their own profile. This will allow each user to have their own desktop configuration and own library folders such as documents, pictures, etc.

Reaction score
If all you need is individual's file seclusion then Truecrypt may be an option. Each user stores their files in their Truecrypt container. A Truecrypt container loads and looks and operates like a separate drive but it is simply an encrypted section of your main drive. Each person has their own. Totally secure. Both run the one operating system but each opens their encrypted "container" when they use the system.

Reaction score
You mean Multibooting?
Never done it with windows only, but i have had a machine booting ubuntu (grub bootloader) and two windows 10 machines from 1 SSD and a HDD. (Two (linux/win10) of them from the SSD and another windows 10 from the HDD.
So choosing during boot and having different machines for the individual users is very well possible.

Reaction score
Hi All...
Although I honestly have had no experience with using SSDs, I have had almost 40 years experience with Windows. But, I am a bit confused by some of the responses. Am I missing something or is there no way to setup a multiboot menu on an SSD? The drive would be partitioned into 2 drives with the same version of Windows installed on each. There would be a different user/admin account on each partition. The user is presented with the boot menu upon startup and chooses which partition to startup. If he/she does not have an account on that partition... they can't log in.

So, what am I missing? Thanks, in advance, for the response...

Reaction score
Hi All...
Although I honestly have had no experience with using SSDs, I have had almost 40 years experience with Windows. But, I am a bit confused by some of the responses. Am I missing something or is there no way to setup a multiboot menu on an SSD? The drive would be partitioned into 2 drives with the same version of Windows installed on each. There would be a different user/admin account on each partition. The user is presented with the boot menu upon startup and chooses which partition to startup. If he/she does not have an account on that partition... they can't log in.

So, what am I missing? Thanks, in advance, for the response...
I am in the same boat, multiboot would solve it, regardless if it's an ssd or a conventional disk.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In windows 10, is there a way to have a SSD divided so that you have the ability of Person "A" to start up the laptop and run their programs with out access to the other partition of the HARD DRIVE
The user is presented with the boot menu upon startup and chooses which partition to startup. If he/she does not have an account on that partition... they can't log in.
Anyone with basic knowledge can add his account to the Access Control List to any file or folder present on any drive or partition in the system.

Just like I could physically remove the drive and attach it to another system and have access to every document, picture, mp3 file or whatever I wanted.
As I stated above
There may be some inelegant methods involving certain encryption tools (which I would never recommend) that would support preventing access to certain files, folders, partitions or whole drives

Reaction score
System partition
Windows A partition
Windows B partition

Encrypt both Windows partitions with different passwords.

Reaction score
Anyone with basic knowledge can add his account to the Access Control List to any file or folder present on any drive or partition in the system.

Just like I could physically remove the drive and attach it to another system and have access to every document, picture, mp3 file or whatever I wanted.
As I stated above
In windows 10, is there a way to have a SSD divided so that you have the ability of Person "A" to start up the laptop and run their programs with out access to the other partition of the HARD DRIVE "SSD" SO that person B can start up the computer and run his programs and apps and not have any of Person A stuff open or available ? A Dual Boot DRIVE using the same operating system ( WIN 10) ? If so would it have to be installed twice once in each partition ? Im a newbie at this Thanks in advance...
Yes there is a way to multi boot and that is to download and use a program called "BOOTIT BARE METAL" Terabyte unlimited is the web site it works fabulously you can have as many boots as you want I have been using it for several years wouldn't be without it

Reaction score
Yes there is a way to multi boot and that is to download and use a program called "BOOTIT BARE METAL" Terabyte unlimited is the web site it works fabulously you can have as many boots as you want I have been using it for several years wouldn't be without it

Reaction score

I don't think multi booting is the Op's query - that is pretty easy to do. (and free!). But I would see no real value, in the OP's intentions. Ir would be very cumbersome and time delaying, to have to reboot into a second OS.
Not sure about the legal implications though.

Troubles responses pretty much cover it 100%

Ask a Question