SATA HDD recognised as SSD

Reaction score
Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have installed a SSD in my machine. Windows is recognising the correct size of my SATA HDD however and the SSD isn't showing up quite rightly as its Linux formatted. Using a third party defragmentation program exactly the same problem occurs, however I was able to defragment my C drive using it as it just warned against it and didn't prohibit me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Run Command Prompt (Admin)
and in the administrative command prompt window type
winsat formal
hit enter
let it run
when finished reboot the system and check

Reaction score
Hey thanks. Rebooting. No it didn't work. I've now cloned Windows to my ssd and am using the SATA hdd for data. Still mistaking SATA for SSD.

Ok also in BIOS SATA emulation is RAID but is greyed out so can not change to IDE? Any more thoughts or is this just a Windows 10 bug?

Last edited:

Ask a Question