Seagate BarraCuda SATA - Not Showing

Reaction score
I just purchased the new drive below, its been a long time since I had a drive show up DOA. I first connected it via my USB 3.0 adapter kit, but all it does on any of my PC's is show up as mass storage, and you cant do anything with it. I then connected it inside my case, booted, and windows (disk mang.) does not see it. Put my ear to the drive, you can hear it boot up. And its not seen by the BIOS either. Any ideas, or should I return it?

Seagate 4TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST4000DM005)

Sys Specs:

i7-6700K Quad-Core - 4.0GHz BX80662I76700K
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH - socket 1151
Sound Blaster Z
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14D-32GTZSW
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming 8G
SSD - Samsung M2 EVO 850 500GB port 0
Corsair HX850i Power Supply
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can only guess that, if it is not being seen by the BIOS then there is either a problem with the drive or with your connections (SATA interface or power).
Have you checked with Gigabyte to make sure all your drivers, especially your storage controller and Chipset drivers are as current as they have available?
Intel Management Engine + Intel INF, and Intel Rapid Storage Technology.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/168595en

Normally, I might suggest a BIOS update as well, but.....
I don't see one listed for that particular board that indicates that it might address your issue.

Reaction score
That Gigabyte mobo is pretty new so if it does not see the drive AND the USB 3 gadget ( I have one of those, mine is Vantec) does not see it BUT you can hear it power up and spin... I'd return it.

I suppose that there is nothing weird like a directional SATA cable in there somewhere?

Ask a Question