Seagate external hard drive will not open in Windows 10 i do not want to lose all my pictures

Reaction score
Seagate external hard drive not opening in Windows 10. can anyone help? I do not want to lose all my picturs.

Reaction score
Unplug both power and USB cable for about 5 minutes. Then reconnect and see if you can access your files. For some reason I loose mine periodically and that is the only way I know to get it back. You may not have the same problem but it is worth a try.

If that fails try connecting the external to another computer.

And if that fails it may be time to take the drive out of the external case. And then either get another external case or connect the drive internally [assuming you have a desktop PC].

Reaction score
Another idea. It might be a USB 3/USB2 problem Try it in another USB port.
Another:
Right click the Start menu and open "Disk Management"
If you can see the ext there, post a screen shot in this forum thread

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did you have it plugged into a different PC and forget to safely remove it from the other PC?. :)

Reaction score
Windows 10 has all sorts of issues recognizing my Seagate using the USB 3 port. If it's a USB 3 device, try a regular USB 2 port. Usually rebooting with the drive plugged in to the USB 3 port, Windows will recognize it. In an emergency, the drive inside the enclosure is a regular sata drive, and can be installed in a desktop PC if you break open the enclosure.

Reaction score
type disk management into win search and see if it is listed there.
If it is that means it is available to the system but, the filesystem is not recognised I think. try plugging into different computer

Reaction score
Sorry about the spelling. I am often typing on my mobile or ipad. Fat fingers - small keys. Happy you interpreted it though:D

Ask a Question