SOLVED Seagate NAS440 Discovery Software does not work with Windows 10

Reaction score
I have been using Seagate NAS440 "Discovery Software" to access my files via the network for some time, however after updating to Windows 10 this program no longer detects my NAS 440 over my network.

It will be much appreciated if someone would be able to assist as "Seagate" is not responding to me.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply,

I can confirm that I can see the folders / files via "Explorer" however to manage the hard drives, user permissions, backup schedule e.t.c. I must be able to use "Seagate BlackArmor Discovery" software interface.

I hope this helps to define my problem better.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you uninstalled and then reinstalled the software after the upgrade to Windows 10?
Have you attempted to run the software in compatibility mode?

Reaction score
  1. Yes I have re-installed the program. (No Success)
  2. I have also tried running in comparability mode to Windows 7, (No Success)
  3. I have confirmed that I can see the NAS440 Drive (via "Seagate Discovery") on the same LAN I am working on however with a Windows 7 PC.
  4. Further suggestions on resolving this problem are requested.

Reaction score
Success!!!

1. Loaded "Seagate Discovery" version 1.40.1041.002
  2. Restarted PC
  3. Used Comparability mode to Windows 7
  4. Ran as Administrator
  5. Management of NAS 440 now possible.
Thank you for your help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you managed to figure it out..... good work.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
I finally received a response from "Seagate" and this is what they recommend (Not sure if I like their viewpoint, this may affect my next choice of product / purchase) :

"Dear Eddie Benoy:

Thank you for contacting Seagate Support.
I am sorry that the backup software and the Discovery tool no longer detects your Nas ever since you updated to Windows 10.
The device is out of production so no updates have been issued for the software. My recommendation therefore is that you should use Windows backup of DiscWizard which you can download from the Seagate website.
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/suppor...e-hard-drives/atlas-10k/discwizard-master-dl/

For additional assistance, feel free to contact us at:
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/about/contact-us/technical-support/ "

Simple Method (my preferred method)
After trying a number of permutations I found that by simply typing in the IP Address into my Internet explorer (Nothing before the IP address and Nothing after) the Seagate NAS 440 Login Screen appears and thus don't need to use the Seagate Discovery software.

I hope the above may help other "Windows 10" users.

Ask a Question