Information Using Seagate Free Agent Go On W10

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I see a lot of threads on this subject however, like most issues trying to focus down on the info. I am using a Free Agent Go primarily for saving family photos( to date almost 30gb) so safe keeping is a concern. I transferred the photos from Dropbox to the Free agent Go. I can access and view the photos on this external drive via USB however, while opening this file via Seagate Manager it indicates that the drive is not open therefore I cannot update software, backup file etc, because the drive is not found on the Seagate manager. Is this due to the Free agent not being recognized on Windows 10? and as always any thoughts on how to get around this or is it just safer to purchase a W10 compatible external. and by the way I purchased this drive about 10 yrs ago. Thank you all.

Reaction score
I don't know. I've been using my Free Agent Go since I had Windows 7 (also 8.1 and 10), and never had a compatibility issue. I've had issues with my USB 3.0 ports, but I've had that issue regardless of what I've plugged in to them. I've even used it on my other Windows 10 PC to transfer files over, and it works fine on that without even installing drivers or using the Free Agent software.

Not sure what the issue some are having, but I have seen a few posts similar to yours.

Reaction score
I don't know. I've been using my Free Agent Go since I had Windows 7 (also 8.1 and 10), and never had a compatibility issue. I've had issues with my USB 3.0 ports, but I've had that issue regardless of what I've plugged in to them. I've even used it on my other Windows 10 PC to transfer files over, and it works fine on that without even installing drivers or using the Free Agent software.

Not sure what the issue some are having, but I have seen a few posts similar to yours.

ok thanks Bigfeet,

can you open your Free agent via Seagate manager and if so, can you download software updates etc?

Reaction score
I can open Seagate Dashboard and download updates fine. Honestly I wouldn't even bother with the software, except I use it to put my drive to sleep after 5 minutes. If not it runs quite hot. There backup software is terrible, so I use different backup software.

Ask a Question