Win 10 Pro and external eSATA cannot be disabled or powered down

Reaction score
Am running Win 10 Pro, 64 bit and before one of the many updates, this device worked just fine. However the 250Gb drive which is used to make Family Tree backups on gets powered on only occasionally. When I go to turn if off the system freezes and then after a couple of minutes shuts down and reboots.

The eSATA device does NOT show up in the right hand task bar under "Safely Remove" so the only way I know how to turn it off until a week from now is to power it down which causes the lockup, mouse and everything ceases to work.

Anyone have an idea on how to make this work AGAIN?

The device is a Nexstar Hard Drive Dock sold by Vantec.

Reaction score
Ok, after pulling the PC out and reseating the eSATA cord on the dock (sitting on floor) and changing the eSATA port on the back of the Mobo (which has TWO eSATA ports), I got it to show up on the Win 10 File explorer and it is accessible and writable, apparently working just fine after a couple of large saves.

BUT it no longer can be shut down. FIRST it does not show up in the "Safely Remove" icon (other posts say it will not because it is a hot swappable SATA drive - although ALL MY OTHER INTERNATL SATA drives are listed in the "Safely remove" icon)

SECOND when I turn the power button off on the Nexstar dock all is fine for about 5-8 seconds and then the File Explorer shuts down (seeing disappear in the background) and about 2-4 seconds later the mouse freezes as does the entire machine. I have found there are only two ways to escape this situation that and it is to power off PC or to turn back on the dock power. Powering down is not a good option since a lot of work has usually not been saved - this is a work station and performs multiple tasks excellently with 6 cores and 12 threads - usually there is lots of work still open. So I power back on and then have to wait until the end of the evening and shut it off after powering down for the day. The HD gets hot since there is no metal or anything touching the drive to draw the heat away, hence my desire to turn if off after that task is completed. Here is what it looks like - not heat sink

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/vantec_nexstar_dual_dock/12.jpg

Up until a couple of weeks ago it never exhibited this behavior and I always turned the power off until I was going to make a 12Gb backup of an application file I use for Family Tree research. I had been using this procedure without a problem for over a year.

Has some MS Win 10 update made it "MORE SAFE" and now no longer will work?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
the Mobo (which has TWO eSATA ports),
Sounds to me like you need to check with your Motherboard manufacturer's website and see what they might have in the way of drivers that support Windows 10.
Paying particular attention to Chipset and Storage Controller drivers. Don't neglect a possible firmware (BIOS) update, if they mention one that potentially addresses your particular issue.
Be mindful that BIOS upgrades are very specific and must match your exact motherboard including the Revision Number. An improper BIOS update can brick your motherboard so be extremely careful.

Ask a Question