Secondary HDD Loads when I open a file located in Primary SSD

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have an ADATA SP900 SSD located in C: and a WD BLUE 500GB located in D: and every time I open any software located in C: I hear noise from the secondary HDD, I open task manager and I see disk D: loading, I noticed this issue when browsing Google Chrome with multiple tabs and I did not pay attention until now.

I don't have any other app like uttorent to use D: disk, I use it only for storage.

I removed the secondary HDD and now PC loads even faster because it loads only on SSD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Are your documents, pictures etc linked to your drive D: ?
Good point! I have computers with single dual partitions [C: and D:] plus some External USB drives plus 2 NAS drives attached to my Router. They frequently re-read the contents and it may be attributed to drive Indexing. I'd also wonder if help could be obtained by turning of the Recycle Bin to the non-OS drives/partitions and perhaps tune System Restore [System Volume Information].

Also, with small OS partitions and larger data partitions one can install programs on different internal drives/partitions which can cause the OS to read them.

Reaction score
Thank you guys for helping me out.

The problem has been solved by itself. Like I said I removed the secondary HDD to see how PC behaves, after I pluged the HDD again it does not load anymore like it used to.

PC loads fast again, I feel happy
002.png

Good point! I have computers with single dual partitions [C: and D:] plus some External USB drives plus 2 NAS drives attached to my Router. They frequently re-read the contents and it may be attributed to drive Indexing. I'd also wonder if help could be obtained by turning of the Recycle Bin to the non-OS drives/partitions and perhaps tune System Restore [System Volume Information].

Also, with small OS partitions and larger data partitions one can install programs on different internal drives/partitions which can cause the OS to read them.
Are your documents, pictures etc linked to your drive D: ?

Reaction score
Check in Disk Management to see which letters are being assigned to which drives. A USB Thumb drive will usually take the first available drive letter so it's possible the former internal drive is no longer showing/not connected or has been assigned a different letter. Might re-letter the Thumb drive to N and see what the resulting line-up is. If mapping a network drive, Windows frequently assigns Z to the first and works back up the alphabet for more such mapping, my 2 NAS drives are Z: and Y:.

The largest problem with re-lettering drives is whether programs have actually been installed on them versus just being stored, could cause issues with running the programs when the letter is changed but reinstalling them should work.

Ask a Question