How to Run an App at Start up on Secondary Monitor

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to have an app installed from the MS store, to automatically run at start up and show on my 2nd monitor? What I mean is, Like a gadget from the Old'n days of Windows 7 and 8.1. I've found some working gadgets, but I want to utilize other apps I have installed.

Thanks for your help/advice in advance...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Homeuser,

Your thread has two parts to it:
  1. Open an app automatically on startup
  2. Open the app in your second monitor

To open an app automatically on Startup
  • Press Windows Key + R to open your run dialog
  • In the run dialog type shell:startup then click OK
This will open the Start-up directory in your File Explorer​
  • Right-click on the Start-up folder located on your Taskbar and select File Explorer
This will open a second instance of File Explorer​
  • In the second instance of File Explorer navigate to the location of the executable for the App you wish to have starting automatically.
  • Having located the executable, right-click and hold the executable and drag into the Start-up folder, then release your right mouse button
  • You'll now see a dialog appear. Left-click on Create shortcuts here
Done!

To force an app to open on left monitor

Unfortunately Windows does not manage this , however some applications have this feature built into their code. You'd have to investigate the apps menu options to see whether this is an option.

Having said that what you could try, to see whether or not it results in the desired affect is the following:
  • Start the app you want to open in your second monitor
  • Minimize the open app's window
  • Now drag the minimized app window to your second monitor
  • Now, maximize the app's window
  • Close the app
Windows will now remember the start position of the app [ i.e. your second monitor ]

Note: This theoretically is designed for using an app multiple times while still logged in. Thus whether or not the app automatically opens in second monitor after a shutdown and restart of your computer is untested.

Worth a try though.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Homeuser,

Your thread has two parts to it:
  1. Open an app automatically on startup
  2. Open the app in your second monitor

To open an app automatically on Startup
  • Press Windows Key + R to open your run dialog
  • In the run dialog type shell:startup then click OK
This will open the Start-up directory in your File Explorer​
  • Right-click on the Start-up folder located on your Taskbar and select File Explorer
This will open a second instance of File Explorer​
  • In the second instance of File Explorer navigate to the location of the executable for the App you wish to have starting automatically.
  • Having located the executable, right-click and hold the executable and drag into the Start-up folder, then release your right mouse button
  • You'll now see a dialog appear. Left-click on Create shortcuts here
Done!

To force an app to open on left monitor

Unfortunately Windows does not manage this , however some applications have this feature built into their code. You'd have to investigate the apps menu options to see whether this is an option.

Having said that what you could try, to see whether or not it results in the desired affect is the following:
  • Start the app you want to open in your second monitor
  • Minimize the open app's window
  • Now drag the minimized app window to your second monitor
  • Now, maximize the app's window
  • Close the app
Windows will now remember the start position of the app [ i.e. your second monitor ]

Note: This theoretically is designed for using an app multiple times while still logged in. Thus whether or not the app automatically opens in second monitor after a shutdown and restart of your computer is untested.

Worth a try though.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Thanks for the great step by step instructions!!! I'll give this a try....

Reaction score
I'll get back to you....Stuck on the ownership of the windows apps folder. It won't allow me to take ownership...

Reaction score
Thanks! I just worked on the first part of your response. I now have to find the app I want, for some reason the one I chose has an error at start up. This app came from the Windows Store. I'll keep trying...Thanks again!

Ask a Question