Windows defender in v1703 does not let me run app

Reaction score
Where is the "allow exclusion" in this version of windows? So frustrating.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi bardos,

Welcome to the Forum.
  • Click Start > Settings cog > Update & security
  • In left pane click Windows Defender then in main window click Open Windows Defender Security Center
  • Now click Virus & threat protection
  • Next click Virus & threat protection settings
  • Scroll down to Exclusions and click Add or remove exclusions

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did that. Put a folder as exception. But when i unzip the file to that folder, it just disappears and it does not contain a virus. So there must be some other app doing protection. I have closed my anti-virus app IObit that I use, so I'm at a total loss.

Reaction score
HI bardos,

you said you have closed your AV app, do you mean you have completely removed it because @Regedit32 's tips above are about using the Windows Defender AV on-board app?.

If you fully remove your own AV app, Windows Defender will automatically switch on!. :) If you have only switched it off for a while, WD won't do anything!. o_O

Reaction score
If there are any items which are suspected as False Positive or you want to keep in the scan result, you can right click on those items and then select Add to Whitelist. The items in Whitelist will not be scanned anymore. It's also recommended that you contact us through our Online Support to report the False Positive.

The above is a quote from IObit website!.

http://www.iobit.com/en/index.php

I think it is an on-demand scanner only but maybe someone else knows more?.

Maybe try a different anti-malware app?, the following has a free version and is ON DEMAND ONLY so you will be using Windows Defender as your main AV app!:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

As pointed out by @Regedit32 above:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...f64c0af8/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender :)

CCC

Reaction score
Identical issues here. Whitelisting specific detections no longer possible in 1703 (no right click settings even possible in the new interface) and this morning MS's latest definitions have started blocking our Desktop Management & OS Imaging software. Excluding the folder doesn't help - and when excluding the specific files Defender says it's not possible because it's a Virus - completely false of course.

Reaction score
HI @CCC ,

is your system fully up-to-date?, there were updates on Tuesday which you might want to install!. :)

CCC

Reaction score
Yes - the definition updates from MS are what has caused the false positives (starting Tuesday). The severity of the classification in addition to the interface changes in 1703 means we can not click to allow the blocked files unlike the users still on 1607 who can.

CCC

Reaction score
Not especially but appreciate you're only trying to help. Blocking critical security updates on our patch management system is not something anyone is ever going to sign off on! The issue is in 1703 the reduced functionality of allowing detected items. Seems there isn't a workaround but still hoping...

Ask a Question