SSD Driver problem

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am experiencing problems with SSD's. Well, not really the SSD's but drivers.
I have a customer who is using Windows 10 2016 LTSB. He WILL NOT change this. When running, the SSD's lockup, freeze, whatever you like to call it, and the machine is unusable. Monitoring with task manager on the performance tab sees the active time eventually rise to 100% and then the machine freezes. Eventually Windows recognises the problem and attempts a re-boot. Of course what happens in BIOS is that Windows tries to boot from the SSD, can't and eventually just shows the BIOS screen. All my customers machines are doing this. (after some time, but they will eventually crash in this fashion).
The only way to clear this is to power cycle.
Using CHKDSK, I don't see any issues or errors.
However, if I use Windows 10 Pro, the latest version (bought last week) I do not see the lock up.
So the only reason I can work out here, is the SATA 3 SSD driver. I can't proove this because I can't download the driver from the Pro version and overwrite the LTSB version. The SSD manufacturer also does not have a driver.

Where can I get a Windows 10 Pro sata driver? How do I patch this in to Windows 2016 LTSB?
Kind regards
Jeff

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The SSD manufacturer also does not have a driver.
I've never found a need to install a "driver" for an SSD nor have I ever noticed a particular brand of SSDs offering such a driver, sometimes they'll offer some software for managing the SSD but not an actual driver.

Although I can't imagine why this problem would have popped up out of no where if he's been running the same LTSB version of Windows 10 on the same machines since 2016....
The driver at issue here is most likely the storage controller driver on the motherboard of the computer and your resource for a remedy would likely be the computer manufacturer itself, motherboard manufacturer or the hardware manufacturer of the storage controller.

I suppose, although I really don't know with LTSB products, that a dodgy driver might have been installed recently, so it might be worth having a look at Device Manager to see if there is a "Roll Back" option available or the "Drivers" section of Windows Update History to see if you can spot anything that catches your attention.

Reaction score
Could you be a little more specific about the type of drives involved? Are they all 2.5 inch SATA or any M.2 drives included?

Could you be specific as to the drivers, such as names, version numbers and dates?

Does that version of the Enterprise software get any updates at all, even Servicing Stacks? Is there a build number associated with it? No messages in the Event Viewer or the graph produced by typing perfmon /rel in a run box?

Reaction score
Hi the SSD's are Innodisk. SATA 3 2.5". Drivers? These come with the version of LTSB.
This appears to be the problem, the version of Windows 10 Pro I have - the lastest one we do not see a problem. The 2016 1607 LTSB I do see the lock up.
There is one caveat to all of this, Windows 10 LTSB CANNOT be updated. My custome will not upgrade the version AND he is not connected to an external network i.e. the WWW.
So the version he has will not be automatically updated by Microsoft as is the normal procedure.
There are justified reasons for this, all as a need to know basis.
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated
Jeff

Ask a Question