SOLVED Install Windows 10. New ssd with windows 7 licence.

Reaction score
Hi,
My mate has neglected to upgrade his laptop to Windows 10. Currently on W7.
I suggested to him that we could possibly fit an ssd drive,do a fresh install of Windows 10 and use the original w7 licence code to give him a genuine version of windows. Have downloaded the W7 install tool and burned on a dvd ready.
Has anyone got any comments as to whether this procedure will work or will MS reject the licence code.
At least if it fails he can revert back to W7 using his original hard drive.
Not much stuff on the laptop so a fresh install will not be a problem.
Look forward to some hopefully positive comments.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Your mate can download Windows 10 iso file and, either upgrade over the top of their Windows 7 or do a clean install.

During the installation they will need to enter their Windows 7 product key. This will be passed through Microsoft's server, and provided its a legal product key, then a new digital license will be assigned to their machine and Windows 10 will be activated.

Despite the 'official free upgrade' offer being over for some time now, Microsoft's November 2016 update changed to allow users with legal Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 product keys to upgrade to Windows 10.

The Windows 10 edition they install must match their current product key's version, e.g. Home, Professional, or Enterprise editions.

Some things to note:
  1. You need to do this using the Anniversary Update - November 2016 - build version 1607
  2. If you cannot find your product key, or your computer is modern enough that the product key is buried in its firmware or bios, then when prompted for a product key, click I don't have one then once installed, from your Desktop click Start | Settings |Update & security, and from here on left pane select Activation and from here enter your Windows 7 product key, which once verified will be assigned a digital license.

Once all is done, and you have Windows 10 activated, you can then if you wish update to the latest edition of Windows 10 - but check first your hardware and drivers are going to work with the latest updates.

I'd recommend backing up any important personal files before proceeding.

For quick access to updates, refer here:

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi sounds promising. Where do i get the Anniversary Update - November 2016 - build version 1607 though.
Have at moment downloaded the version on MS web site but unsure of version. Assume it will be latest with all updates.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You can try this third party site that has pulled the downloads directly from Microsoft's servers:

Note: This will display version 1607 as July 2016, when the redstone edition was released.

Make sure you select the correct language, and on last selection option be sure to get the correct one, i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit

In the first selection select Windows Final

Regedit32

Reaction score
Microsoft will eventually plug this loop hole I suspect.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Thanks most encouraged.
Couple of questions . Will the digital licence still apply if i have changed the hardware which in this case will be changing the hdd for a ssd with all the benefits of faster boot speed etc.
Will he need an MS account or is that not necessary?

Reaction score
As always If i was in the need to upgrade to Windows 10 from any OS other than, do use MediaCreationTool by MS.
use that link to let ME do all the work for you,
select update now... this also will give you a new Digital License embedded in MS Cloud.

Reaction score
Thanks most encouraged.
Couple of questions . Will the digital licence still apply if i have changed the hardware which in this case will be changing the hdd for a ssd with all the benefits of faster boot speed etc.
Will he need an MS account or is that not necessary?
changing the HDD to SSD will not change your Digital license, memory does not change DL, Video Adapter does not change DL.
MOTHERBOARD indicates a new Digital License is NEEDED.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You do not have to create a Microsoft account, however, its probably better to do that given you can then store account information with Microsoft, which makes life far easier if you need to do a clean install at some time.

It ought to work fine with the new SSD.

Reaction score
You can change HDD/SSD as many times you want the Digital License is tied to Computer MotherBoard not HDD-SSD, or Video or memory.
I use Clone SSDs to change OSs all the time.... never a issue, swsap SSD easy turnoff move Adapter cable, restart,
1.) Insider - Enterprise, 2.) Insider - Professional - 3.) Insider -WSPro, and 4.) Home
Yes I am a Beta Tester and also a RTM Installation.
1570556262516.png

Reaction score
Seem to be getting conflicting answers here.
Can i use Microsoft's current Media Creation tool which will give me the latest version of W10 or do i still need to use the 1607 version dated July 2016 and then go through the update process to get to the current level. Obviously would prefer to install the latest version initially as given by the Media creation tool but i assumed that would not give me a valid digital licence on completion.
Sorry could someone confirm either way. Hope to do install end of week.
Dont forget this is a W7 installation being replaced by a clean install of W10. Same version.
Going for new install as looks as if W7 has some corruption. Windows explorer crashes when you try to copy or move any files.

Reaction score
Seem to be getting conflicting answers here.
Can i use Microsoft's current Media Creation tool which will give me the latest version of W10 or do i still need to use the 1607 version dated July 2016 and then go through the update process to get to the current level. Obviously would prefer to install the latest version initially as given by the Media creation tool but i assumed that would not give me a valid digital licence on completion.
Sorry could someone confirm either way. Hope to do install end of week.
MediaCreationTool will let you chose what to do. either make a Bootable.iso or upgrade to the most current of what you have installed.
No, it will not be Insider version but the latest offered RTM. and this in turn updates the Digital License for your current system.
1570557675668.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
Can i use Microsoft's current Media Creation tool which will give me the latest version of W10 or do i still need to use the 1607 version dated July 2016

The loop hole that Microsoft seems to be allowing for now, is based on that 2016 version 1607

Reaction score
Ta looks like i will try and boot to the 1607 iso and install that on the new ssd and hopefully it will report a fully licenced version of W10 at end of install. Assume it best to skip the stage where it asks for product code and let the Ms activation servers do their stuff

Regedit32

Reaction score
You can either enter the Windows 7 product key as you go, or wait till Windows 10 1607 is installed then open:
Settings | Updates & Security | Activation and take care of it then.​

Reaction score
Will it make any difference if the original W7 install was an OEM version?

Regedit32

Reaction score
It shouldn't do.

However, if its an OEM then be prepared to have to update drivers once Windows 10 is installed, or in some cases, after Windows updates them for you, you may need to roll back to original ones!

Regedit32

Reaction score
The only thing that would stop this working is if the Windows 7 product key has been used for an upgrade already. For example, if this is a second hand computer and the original owner used the key on their new computer before selling it.

Also, if Microsoft plug the loop hole - that of course will prevent it working. For now they seem happy to leave it available.

Reaction score
No definitely purchased from new so hopefully no problem.
Will report back as soon as SSD arrives and i find time to do the install.
As always thanks for your wealth of knowledge.

Reaction score
Possibly a silly question but once i have Windows 10 installed with the 2016 version and a digital licence is applied can i then put the latest W10 disc in and install that therefore saving the need to install the massive amount if updates that will be needed.
Failing that is there a quick way to install the updates or is it just a case of using the Windows update tool?

Ask a Question