SOLVED Windows 10 Photos App will not install

Reaction score
I'm running a Dell XPS 9333 Windows 10 vers 1803 and after not being able to open the Windows Photo's App tried everything possible (revert to previous Restore Point, uninstalled, reinstalled etc. etc.) yet I still received the message "This App cannot open" I'm reluctant to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and wondered if by updating to Windows version 1903 this will automatically fix the problem. Alternatively is there a way I can copy the App from one of my other PC's and install onto the laptop I'm having the problem with?

Reaction score
You may need to Upgrade your Version 1803 soon anyway, reaching its end of support. Have you tried getting Photos from the Store?

Reaction score
Yes I did try several time deleting the app and then doing a download from the Store, after the download the error message "This app can't open" is always displayed. I will wait for a few more replies then try the update to 1903

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS 8930 loaded with Windows 10 Version 1903 and it supports some version of a photo app but I don't know how to determine exactly what version.

I am not terribly pleased with the Windows photo app that is on my computer. My biggest complaint is that every time I think I have learned how to use it - it changes (upgrades). It works but is not user friendly. Whatever app I have came preloaded on my Dell which was purchased less than a year ago with Windows 10 resident.

Attachments

• Windows Photos.PNG
    Windows Photos.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
I'm running Win 10 1903 and the photo app works OK for me, but I don't use it. I still use my favourite programs , the old photo gallery from Windows Essentials 2012 and my main edit program for most things is the Microsoft Photo Editor from Office XP. There are 3rd party sites available to still download Essentials photo, but MS isn't offering it anymore.

Reaction score
Try these two solutions and see if it helps you . or else best would be to go for 1903 update.

Solution 1: Reset Photos App on Windows 10 PC

The effectiveness of this tip has been proven in solving the Windows 10 Photos App not working issue. Follow the steps below to reset the Photos App on your Windows 10 PC and see whether the problem is solved.

Step 1: Click the Windows key and choose Settings.

Step 2: Go to System > Apps & features. (Choose Apps under Settings if you don’t find Apps & features under System.)

Step 3: Search for Photos and click it.

Step 4: Choose Advanced options and click Reset.

Solution 2: Run Apps Troubleshooter

Windows provide you a built-in feature to solve the problems related to the Apps you got from Microsoft Store, which is App Troubleshooter. Here is the way to run it.

Step 1: Open Settings App in Windows 10.

Step 2: Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

Step 3: Scroll down to click Windows Store Apps and choose Run the troubleshooter.

Step 4: Follow the on-screen instructions, reboot your computer, and see whether the problem still exists.

Reaction score
I'm running Win 10 1903 and the photo app works OK for me, but I don't use it. I still use my favourite programs , the old photo gallery from Windows Essentials 2012 and my main edit program for most things is the Microsoft Photo Editor from Office XP. There are 3rd party sites available to still download Essentials photo, but MS isn't offering it anymore.
I
Try these two solutions and see if it helps you . or else best would be to go for 1903 update.

The effectiveness of this tip has been proven in solving the Windows 10 Photos App not working issue. Follow the steps below to reset the Photos App on your Windows 10 PC and see whether the problem is solved.

Step 2: Go to System > Apps & features. (Choose Apps under Settings if you don’t find Apps & features under System.)

Windows provide you a built-in feature to solve the problems related to the Apps you got from Microsoft Store, which is App Troubleshooter. Here is the way to run it.

Step 3: Scroll down to click Windows Store Apps and choose Run the troubleshooter.

Step 4: Follow the on-screen instructions, reboot your computer, and see whether the problem still exists.
Thanks, I did try all of these proposed solutions and once I had reinstalled the program, it still failed to run. Hopefully when I do the upgrade to Win 10 vers. 1903 it may fix the problem.

Reaction score
I agree the Photos app was not my favourite program either however, I did get used to using it with its' quirks and hope that by updating to Windows 10 vers 1903 may fix the problem.

Reaction score
I am not much into customising or operations with Photos. I use the built in "Paint" together with Paint.net (https://www.getpaint.net/). The latter is fee, and a very comprehensive graphic program - does everything I need with a photo.
But, fwiw, I have read that AVG can cause problems with the Photo App. You could try disabling it , if you use it, and see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score

thank

Thank you for your tips, unfortunately after trying these after I open the reinstalled program it still states the application

Thank you for these tips, unfortunately after trying these, after reinstalling the app I still receive the error message that the app is unable to open.

Reaction score
Did you try 1903
I wanted to see what other solutions there may be before trying the update to 1903 however it looks like I'm going to have to go this route (the other alternative was to do a complete new install incase I have corrupted files which I would also like to avoid).

Reaction score
I wanted to see what other solutions there may be before trying the update to 1903 however it looks like I'm going to have to go this route (the other alternative was to do a complete new install incase I have corrupted files which I would also like to avoid).
1903 would be a better choice then Clean OSRI

Ask a Question