SOLVED Install Windows 10. New ssd with windows 7 licence.

Reaction score
The digital license will activate without the need for double installing Windows 10. Just make sure you install the correct edition for your digital license. No need for installing the older version of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Sorry have been advised that as previous os was Windows 7 then i would need to install the 2016 version to allow me to get the free upgrade. I am doing a fresh install on the laptop as changing hdd to a ssd.
Not sure who is right now.

Reaction score
Reading through, you do seem to be getting a little confliction?
As far as I can see, the original intention in your first post is to install a brand new ssd+
Then I would go from bottom to top:
Download Windows 7 from here:
and install it on the SSD. You are asked , initially, to enter the OEM key.

From that point, you are in a clear position to upgrade the ssd installation, to windows 10, through the steps suggested, ie. The media creation tool.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You ought to be able to do that.

Leave the router online, so if there are any tidbits Windows wants it can download them during the install

Reaction score
Yes the original intention is to upgrade the laptop from W7 to W10 on a new ssd drive as the original hdd is getting on a bit and the W7 install seems to be corrupted.
Happy to do the original plan and install the 1607 2016 version on the ssd and hopefully get a digital licence from the MS servers. Only disadvantage there is the massive amount of updates that will follow.
If i do plan outlined above i assume i install a new copy of W7 on the ssd and then perform the upgrade. Can i then upgrade from W7 to W10 using the latest version of the media creation tool as i assumed that path was no longer available to me now the free upgrade option has been withdrawn by MS and my only option was to use the 1607 version?

Reaction score
When i check product code with MS i get this message.

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Does that mean the upgrade to W10 will fail.

Reaction score
Got me there. Never seen that message before. Back to squre one unless a member can come up with something. To follow the path suggested, it looks like you need the original recovery disk. You could have a look around the web for a site that has Windows 7 downloads. I would not imagine, under the circumstances and time lag, that it would be considered illegal.

Reaction score
Possibly a silly question but once i have Windows 10 installed with the 2016 version and a digital licence is applied can i then put the latest W10 disc in and install that therefore saving the need to install the massive amount if updates that will be needed.
Failing that is there a quick way to install the updates or is it just a case of using the Windows update tool?
YES, since the DL is attached to the Computer.

Reaction score
Seem to be getting conflicting answers here.
Can i use Microsoft's current Media Creation tool which will give me the latest version of W10 or do i still need to use the 1607 version dated July 2016 and then go through the update process to get to the current level. Obviously would prefer to install the latest version initially as given by the Media creation tool but i assumed that would not give me a valid digital licence on completion.
Sorry could someone confirm either way. Hope to do install end of week.
Dont forget this is a W7 installation being replaced by a clean install of W10. Same version.
Going for new install as looks as if W7 has some corruption. Windows explorer crashes when you try to copy or move any files.

Firstly, if you are changing to an SSD then the best way and simplest way is to firstly, unmount the old HDD with Windows 7 then install the new SSD drive into the computer, download Windows 10 Home or Pro (from the link that 'Snuffy' provided at; https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209) and forget about the 'Windows 10 installed with the 2016 version' you don't need to do that! Use the 'Create Windows 10 installation media' (as that is the latest version) on that page, use the 'Download tool' and then use that tool to download the appropriate Windows 10 that coincides with your Windows 7 version e.g. Windows 7 - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium coincides with Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Professional coincides with Windows 10 Pro etc then use an 8GB USB (double layer 8GB DVD) and copy the Windows 10 boot file to the USB.

Reboot your computer (with the USB plugged in and booting from the USB or you can do the exact thing with a double layer 8GB DVD) to boot the system into the Windows 10 installation sequences, make sure the computer is connected to the web, once you get to the provide a Key section of the installation, put in your Windows 7 Key and let the installation go through its sequence, if it dosen't give you an 'electronic licence' then you can do that later, once Windows 10 is installed in the Settings>Update & Security>Activation>Update product key, simple.

Btw, I've done this many many times with 'legit and authentic' Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 Key's (btw, wont work with KMSPico crack attained keys and alike) and they all worked faultlessly and in 100% of times, I got an electronic licences and they all worked 100% with no problems of windows update and/or support.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Steven, if I read the thread, that is where he comes to a haly:

"
Create Windows 10 installation media
To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10"

Reaction score
There also should be a "I do not have a Product key " it will install with a Generic key as listed in the product.ini.
the license in question here is your Windows 7 KEY.
1570802170098.png

of you can insert the key from "Product.ini" which is a Install key only, not a Activation Key. I prefer to use the old OS and allow MS to upgrade for you, then you can make the proper iso, swap the SSD for te HDD then install with the ISO, or for me it is faster.
boot to the ISO made from the DL as provided, when allowed go to command prompt as admin and use
dism /Apply-Image /Imagefile:G:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\
or
dism /Apply-Image /Imagefile:G:\sources\install.esd /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

or if your iso from MS has install.esd change to as needed, the G:\ change to your Media Drive Letter.

Reaction score
Hi did upgrade this morning using latest media creation tool. Skipped the bit where it asked for the licence code and completed install ok.
Logged in and windows shows it as a genuine product. Thanks everyone for advice.

Ask a Question