Windows 10 Upgrade crashed SSD in Toshiba Tecra W50

Reaction score
Hello All,

My Toshiba Tecra W50 was running fine on Windows 7. Regrettably, I overlooked disabling the popup which automatically scheduled and performed the upgrade to 10.

While just exploring a bit to decide whether to keep 10 or use the Settings app to return to 7, I started getting "drive failure imminent" messages. Having just gotten the PC back from Toshiba for a repair of the SSD, it seemed a huge coincidence that the drive might actually be failing immediately after the first Win 10 boot.

Thinking that 10 was the error, I decided to downgrade back to 7. That process seemed to proceed to completion, but now the computer won't boot.

On power-up, you get the familiar "Starting Windows" screen, then it goes to a text screen that says Windows failed to load and gives you the option to run a startup fix. Clicking that, after a short delay, leads to a message that says it can't fix it.

I'm stuck. Where do I go from here?

I'm happy to provide more specifics - the above is just to lay out the problem.

Thanks in advance to all. I'll be searching and reading messages until I hear from you.

Buddy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
drive failure imminent
Is there perhaps another physical drive connected to the system, other than the SSD, which might be suffering some problems?
That error would seem to indicate the drive hosting the Windows installation but I'm not absolutely certain that, that is the case in every instance.
Having just gotten the PC back from Toshiba for a repair of the SSD
Did "Toshiba" provide any information as to what might constitute the "repair"? Did they replace the SSD with a new SSD? Is it identical to the former drive if in fact there was a replacement?

Reaction score
It's a laptop. The SSD is the only drive. The W50 is a portable workstation and was delivered with SSD, fast processor, fast graphics, lots of memory, etc.

About 6 months ago, we sent the system to Toshiba's repair facility, not a dealer or independent shop, since it was still under warranty. Despite a lot of effort on our part, we were never able to get Toshiba to answer whether they replaced the original drive or just ran diagnostics and reloaded the delivery software. Nor could we get them to tell us whether the original drive was actually failing or not. Believe me, we tried. Anyway...

It's run flawlessly under Win 7 since we got it back from Toshiba, until the Win 10 upgrade. Then, within 2 minutes of the very first Win 10 boot, it started throwing warning messages every minute or so. It seemed awfully unlikely to me that the drive would begin to fail at exactly the same time as the upgrade, unless the upgrade itself had corrupted the drive (boot sector or whatever).

The downgrade to Win 7 seemed to go without a hitch, but now it won't boot.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did, at any point, either after getting it back from Toshiba or prior to installing Windows 10, you make a disk image and or backup any critical data that might be on the computer now?
I ask because, short of another trip back to Toshiba for a second service visit, you may have an option, using the factory partition to recover the system back to the status it was in when you just got it back from Toshiba.

Short of that.... IF you can get into the BIOS and locate the Disk controller mode, you might make a note of its' current setting (perhaps "RAID") and try experimenting with other selections like SATA / AHCI or Native IDE.
On some rare occasions it seems that the mode can get altered from its' proper setting. IF nothing else there may be an option to use "System Defaults" or "Optimized Defaults" or words to that affect.

There may also be some available native utility that can perform some system diagnostics including a long and short test of the hard drive. I'm not familiar with that particular system but if any such utility is available they can often be evoked by the use of some specific keyboard input during POST (Esc, Delete, F2, F9, F12, or a combination of Fn-Keys, etc.)

Reaction score
It's backed up - not a disk image, but all the user data.

We ran the factory restore Moday. It will boot and run now, but it's still throwing the message that the drive is going to fail soon. We've called Toshiba to schedule shipping it back.

There's a Toshiba utility called, IIRC, "System Health". It shows SSD condition as "poor". There's another utility called "HDD/SSD Alerts". It's the one that displays the imminent failure message. Both of these display their respective messages immediately - not the usual delay you'd expect while running a comprehensive diagnostic.

I'l do some digging into how to get into the BIOS. F2 gets me to a Toshiba config which doesn't have the disk controller as an option to edit.

Reaction score
i allready see this on a laptop here and it was a driver for secure boot

just go in bios and disable secure boot and put it in ide compatible mode and you have it booted

maybe its just that

Reaction score
ho i read the last message you say the hdd smart its poor ...

so you need asap backup this drive ...

its not windows 10 that crash your ssd ... its hardware problem... just change disk

Reaction score
As I said in post #1, the computer was working fine under Win 7, no problems reported on SSD condition. Then, in the first minute after the first boot on 10, we got a warning of a failing drive. It may be a pure coincidence, but circumstantial evidence points to a problem created in the Win 10 update.

As I said in post #5, it will now boot after using the Toshiba restore. But, the drive error message is still there.

Reaction score
yes the bad sector is turned off but he dont stop to broke, working in this hdd is very dangerous of losting data or have some files disapear and make this windows stop working ..

its a pure coincidence because this hard drive is falling
:)

Ask a Question