I have attempted an In-Place Upgrade to W10 from W7 five times without any success.

Reaction score
I tried on a PC that never had W10 on it - Failure.
I tried on a PC that did have W10 on it but had the System Drive exchanged with the PC above this line - Failure.
I tried it from the WEB - Failure.
I tried it from a DVD - Failure.
I tried it from a USB Thumb Drive - Failure.
In all of the above scenarios, I removed all USB Hardware, except the install from the USB Thumb Drive.
In all of the above scenarios, I disabled all Security Software, except MSE, which was found and flagged each time.

Is there ANYWHERE I can look to determine why the W10 In-Place Upgrade install fails?

Please keep it simple as I am a novice at this.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum Mike.

You could take a look at Microsoft's SetupDiag here:

That tool may help you figure out what is failing. Read the page as it explains how it works and where it saves the log files to.

Reaction score
An in-place upgrade is not what you are doing but we may be able to help with your situation, depending on the output of the setupdiag utility.. If it doesn't have the necessary info, it may require more files be made available.

Reaction score
Hi,
this is a very useful link if you wanna upgrade from a valid version win7 to a genuine win10, and all still for free. Did it some weeks ago on an Win7 PC that hadn't been used for 3-4 years, and it works :)

Reaction score
"MediaCreationTool" will do exactly what you are asking... is long as your Windows 7 is not corrupt in any way. and Your PC will run and work even if it has corruption. It will not upgrade if Corrupted.

Reaction score
I came into possession of an HP EliteBook with Win7 Pro and ran tests on it [full HDD scan followed by defrag/optimization] then I cloned it using a SATA drive dock to another 500GB HDD, put the clone in and booted, worked fine so I installed Win10 Pro from the USB drive made by the MCT process, works fine. Since it's an older computer the included Bluetooth doesn't want to work right so I use an IOGEAR USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle for the mouse.

Reaction score
Many time on (Drivers) you really should use the ORIGINAL Drivers, sample: Dell has issues on Ethernet and Wireless drivers, Acer has issues on Touch screen drivers=included in HDD drivers, but not inclused in SSD drivers, HP, and others also... so easy is something fails, use the original manufacture drivers to (overwrite MS Drivers). reboot and IMO that solves over 99% of the issues.... and defrag/optimization does not FIX any corruptions. In fact that can also assist in corruption. SFC /scannow will assist in fixing System File Corruption, (many times you need to run more than once). MS also many times will not update or upgrade if your failure caused a Software Distribution folder error.... so over 99% of all errors can be fixed by
1. Reinstall Original Manufacture Drivers.
2. Run the following as a Bat or Cmd. Works on almost any MS OS. from XP to Insider 10.
now a new problems is many have found that ADK or VAMT3 might also cause a issue..... so Remove/Uninstall prior to running the Bat or Cmd. you can use this or add to your script to test.
adksetup.exe /promptrestart /ceip on /quiet /uninstall
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

net start cryptsvc

pause
exit

Reaction score
I wouldn't do an upgrade, backup all your files (that you need) off Win-7 and do a fresh install of Win-10 (as suggested above) by downloading a fresh bootable USB flash drive, bootable copy of Win-10 and installing it, then use the Win-7 key with a microsoft account (if you have one, if not register with Microsoft e.g. a Hotmail etc) then, do the fresh install, activate windows with Win-7 Key when asked (as Microsoft still will recognise that key) and will register Win-10 with that key, so you get a free Win-10 Pro or Home! I've just done that with a 7 year old laptop and used its Win-7 key and it registered with Microsoft perfectly, that's it, easy!

Ask a Question