Permissions after in place upgrade

Reaction score
Permissions are now screwed up on saved .DOCX in Office. I haven't checked the new Excel spreadsheets made after the in place upgrade, but I have to assume the same problem.

I have tried with no success changing permissions as ADMIN.

I can work around it, but it is annoying..

Anyone with insight into this? A clean install? Want to avoid if possible.

I had to reinstall Office after the upgrade, wondering if that had anything to do with it?

BTW, I did do a search, apparently I am not the only one..frustrating. This is on the upgrade install, my laptop that came with 10 already loaded is no problem..

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found an answer here....https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_other/word-experienced-an-error-trying-to-open-the-file/07b539fa-c641-e011-9767-d8d385dcbb12?auth=1 Now, the question is, do I have to do this individually with ALL Doxc and Excel files, and how about all the other problems, like downloads that are blocked? Is there a way to batch file all of them at once?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update, it takes a whole lot of time, but each file has to be accessed with a right click, then properties. Look for "this file came from another computer"and check the 'unblock' box, apply, then move on to the next file. This is gonna take some time...it is hit and miss with my files, some are blocked and others are not, confusing at best. How the heck does this happen? Still working on it, slowly, one file/folder/download at a time...a few of them won't change, same old pattern you need ADMIN permissions and the setting can't be changed. This happens even if I take ownership of the items in question.

Last edited:

Ask a Question