Very confusing permissions issues

Reaction score
Hello all; it's been a long time since I've been here. I finally got a new laptop with Windows 10 on it a couple months ago. But I do have a rather annoying problem. I've only got one account on here, but seem to have permission issues when it comes to certain folders on my hard drive; in particular, a data folder in my Steam installation. I can't do anything with it even though I'm the admin. I've tried using the folder properties and even programs to give me ownership of the folders, but nothing seems to work and it's now all over the place.

And the worst part? This. How the heck does something like THIS happen?! I'm the ONLY account! Why and how is it splitting permissions among all these sub-accounts that I didn't create?! I've even got virus protection and it didn't pick up anything.

https://puu.sh/ww9un/07a094ad53.png

I am very confused and have no idea what to do. Do I just completely wipe the laptop clean or what? I really don't want to have to do that. All I ever wanted to do with this folder was gain permissions to access it; I was trying to install mods for my game and now I'm worried I'll have to completely start over with a fresh slate.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is "Disable Inheritance" and just choose to "Convert inherited permissions to explicit permissions on this object"
Then you need to adjust your account permissions for the Jim Kelley account from "This folder only" to cascade to all child objects so that it shows "This folder, subfolders and files".

Reaction score
Okay, I suppose that makes sense. Anything else I should keep in mind about this? Like I said, I'm so confused as to why there are so many of these accounts just battling it out for permissions. I haven't picked up any viruses nor did I actually make any of these? They just sorta appeared there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK either. Some of them may have been generated by the installation itself.
Not a Steam user or a gamer myself.

You may run into competing permissions when it comes to conflicting group membership.
For instance the "Everyone" group. I don't know why that is there at all but the fact that it is may produce some issues as....
By its' very definition "everyone" is a member of that group and it only has "Read" permissions to that folder only.
You may either have to remove it or, if for some reason it is required as part of the vendor or the specific game (and I can't imagine why it would be) you may have to elevate that group's permissions as well and cascade them down through all child objects.

I'm also wondering if, when you took ownership, as apparently you have.......
Did you make sure to also cascade that change down through all child objects as well.

I would expect things to look more like this

Capture5.PNG

Not necessarily identical but more or less similar.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just try going back and redoing the TakeOwnership thing.
Pick your account again and be sure to check the box to replace owner on child objects.

IF that works, then go back and select and remove OWNER RIGHTS and Everyone groups from the ACL
Be sure to always check the box so that your changes are cascaded down.

Then you need to upgrade your own account permissions again cascading the changes

Then see if you can disable inheritance and convert.

Failing all of the above, just activate the hidden (real) administrator account from an elevated command prompt just type
net user administrator /active:yes
hit enter
type
exit
log off and log on as Administrator
Then go do whatever you want to the folder, setting up permission as they are suppose to be

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No I wouldn't actually remove them.
I might, if I continued to have problems, up those two to include "This folder, subfolders and files"
During your inspection of the Access Control List, make sure to confirm that there is nothing checked under the "Deny" column.
An explicit "Deny" pretty much over rides everything else.

Reaction score
Ok, so nothing's in the deny column- I've done everything but it still denies me. I'm just gonna have to use the cmd prompt.

Edit: NOTHING. NOTHING WORKS. There is no way for me to do anything with this now. Not even command prompting worked. I just wanna get rid of it already.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't you just do an uninstall of the Program(s) that generated these folders.... double check and confirm that all the problem directories are gone after the uninstall, and......
Reboot and start over with the game and or steam???

Reaction score
Program's already been uninstalled- this folder didn't go with it unfortunately. I just wish I could get it deleted but nothing's worked, not even being admin. No matter what I do it still either claims I need admin permission even as admin or denies me from changing permissions. If there's a program that can override all those permissions and forcefully delete it, that would be nice.

Reaction score
I had a similar issue, windows wouldn't let me look at pictures and said i needed permission. I found an app running called "facebook" that was in the same folder as trustedinstaller. I stopped it from running and that seemed to do the trick.

Reaction score
Lol, I don't use the Facebook app on my laptop, so I don't think I need to worry about that!

@Trouble I'll give that a shot. Thank you for your help and patience thus far.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
@Trouble I'll give that a shot. Thank you for your help and patience thus far.
Just be aware that the program is "ad supported" so during the install use the "Advanced" option to uncheck any cruft that comes with the install (Delta Toolbar) which you don't need or want.

Reaction score
I didn't use it either, i never installed it and certainly wouldn't put it into a hidden restricted folder. It appeared about 3 days ago and doesn't appear to be associated with facebook.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're welcome and glad it did the trick for you.
I assume you'll try this again at some point, so.....
Keep us posted as to how you progress.

Reaction score
Hi again- having the same issues, only this time, the solutions from last time no longer work. The permissions thing won't work- I can't do any of the things from last time, and unlocker won't delete the folder. I need a new way to brute force a deletion. And no, the admin account doesn't do squat either.

This is why I hate Windows 10. This damn permission issues are a living nightmare.

Last edited:

Ask a Question