Missing Permissions on Authenticated User and unable to create Everyone with permissions

Reaction score
My Windows 10 Home will not allow me to create the group/user name Everyone and apply permissions to it. It get part way through applying permissions, then says can't apply, but allows you to move on applying more permissions, and then says Access Denied and stops. The same occurs to Authenticated Users. The operating system has created the user, but all check boxes are are unchecked. When you apply permissions the same occurs as above.

Because of this all the PC in the network can see this PCs, but can't read or write - zero access to the one windows 10 computer that I can't apply permissions to.

How can I fix this issue and make it accessible to the network PCs?

Kim

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My Windows 10 Home will not allow me to create the group/user name Everyone and apply permissions to it.
That might be linked to the fact that the "Everyone" Group already exists so....
Are you getting any specific error messages that might suggest what is going on?

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Hi

This what I have, and what happens when I apply permissions. The permissions are applied to most file and Folders, and denied to others, but than get Access Denied- see images. I have tried to add Authenticated Users and Everyone all different ways, but I'm just not allowed to do.

Authenticated User is in the allowed list (See image) with zero boxes checked, and if I try to apply the permissions I get the above result.

KIm

Reaction score
Hi Fenshome,

there are no ticks where it states "Allow/Deny", you might need to take another look at it?:

See my pic:

Open "advanced" and highlight a user then on "Edit":

Then check what boxes are ticked:

:)

Reaction score
HI
System has full control, but I note that they are grayed out, i.e. you cant change anything. see below

Reaction score
Wolfie

Just noticed that all Principal in the list below when you go in and look at their Permissions are also grayed out. There seem to be a total lack of manipulation of any permissions. Hence you can't make any changes to anything, even to create a new Principal.

Do you have a solution for this?

Reaction score
Only by changing permissions where it states in your last pic "Change Permissions". I would start with "Authenticated Users" first!. :)

Reaction score
I have tried everything and I get this every time - see below. I can't add or delete Permissions. As I said all Permissions are grayed out for absolutely everything and not available.

When I apply permissions it starts OK and a few it won't let you change, so skip them, but eventually when it gets to the end I always get Access Denied.

Reaction score
Just on the phone with a friend, I got him to create another account to see if that solves the problem, making the other account as admin might do it???. He has got to phone me back with the results!. You will have to redo all your settings and favourites for your browser, you can copy them to a USB stick and import them!. I don't have another solution for you sorry. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Wolfie

I assume that if that works, I'll have to reinstall all programs again. Then delete the Profile which is in error.

Reaction score
Hi Fenshome,

I do actually have a solution, I was lying earlier :D, as a last resort, roll-back to the previous version which may/may not solve the problem?. ;)

System settings > Updates & Security > Recovery > Go back the previous version of Windows 10:

Reaction score
I've been fighting this for some time and I think there have been a number of quarterly updates. where will it go back to, just the last quarterly or major update?

Reaction score
Hi Fenshome,

take a look in Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore and see if you have any restore points from a few days ago there?.

Reaction score
Wolfie

There are none.

I've even used my Arcronis backup and gone back as far as I can and still I've been stopped. There has to be a Registry corruption in the Access Control areas. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi Fenshome,

my friend said that his newly created 2nd user account worked fine, so I told him to copy all of his files and bookmarks etc to a USB stick and make sure that the new user is admin then delete the old account. He told me that the new account worked fine. I don't know how he got on in the meantime, you could try that!. :) Otherwise, I don't know what to do, you could mess around with the registry but you might make things worse?. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question