SOLVED Weird Rectangles showing in place of Device Names Windows 10 Pro Build 18965 (Insider)

Reaction score
I just purchased a used computer with Windows 10 Home on it (1903). I reset it, clearing everything off it and then reinstalled my applications. I then used an old Windows 8 Pro license to change the OS to Windows 10 Pro. At that point, I made it an "Insider" computer and installed Windows 10 Pro Build 18965.

Continuing on, I attempted to connect the computer through network to a printer attached to my wife's computer by going to Settings, Devices, and Printers & scanners.

When I got there, I saw rectangles in place of the description of various printers (see partial screen shot). I also found that the names of other devices in the Bluetooth & other devices section was also replaced by these rectangles.

Any idea of what we have here and how it can be fixed?

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-08-24 173030.png
    Annotation 2019-08-24 173030.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 326
Reaction score
Thank you. I had actually read (scanned) that report before, and missed that problem. So it's not a computer problem that can be fixed at home. I'll have to wait for MS to fix it.

I realize that these "Insider" builds have bugs and sometimes these bugs cause problems, but I've been using them now for several years on just one of my ten computers, and this is really the first issue that I've seen myself. I do have another issue on this computer that I also recognize in the report, that is closing certain apps with the "X" in the upper right hand corner of the application, and have been using the work around, simultaneously pushing the ALT and F4 keys.

My Insider Computer is a Lenovo Z80-70 17" laptop with an i7-5500U CPU and 16 GB RAM.

Reaction score
I had this problem too. Just updated to 1903 OS Build 18975.1000 using Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (Fast) and now things are rendered correctly. Another problem with PaperPort Pro 14.5 where the top "X" (close) didn't work is now fixed too.

Ask a Question